please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 4:50pm 
   Myriad Forum
   Myriad HQ / Sound Bases
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   should i get gold sound base?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: should i get gold sound base?  (Read 19925 times)
Question: Do you have gold sound base?

Yes
No

Garf
Board Junior Member

should i get gold sound base?  
« on: Apr 19th, 2008, 9:47pm »
Quote | Modify

I have GMSE base, and I think it sounds really good. But not good enough to sound like a live recording. Do you think I should get gold sound base, those of you Gold users, do you think it's worth the $30? The samples aren't really much help. Could you attach on a recording of a song recorded with gold sound base? THANKS

Garf

User of Harmony Assistant 9.4.5
GMSE Base
Windows Vista SP1
bubu42
Board Master

Re: should i get gold sound base?  
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19th, 2008, 10:16pm »
Quote | Modify

on Apr 19th, 2008, 9:47pm, fsimpro wrote:
I have GMSE base, and I think it sounds really good. But not good enough to sound like a live recording. Do you think I should get gold sound base, those of you Gold users, do you think it's worth the $30? The samples aren't really much help. Could you attach on a recording of a song recorded with gold sound base? THANKS

Honestly, the GoldBase is really worth the cost. I agree it is not perfect -but what is in this world ?
One of the few things I first did after buying the GoldBase was to try the music scores that are on the site. I realized that it sounded much better than the built in base.
As for the songs -I mean songs with voices sung out by VS or RS- it won't help much. The "human" voices are obtained through different processes than a soundbase and are independent. Nonetheless, I still think the GoldBase is great value.

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
James Warren
Board Master

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20th, 2008, 4:32am »
Quote | Modify

This thread was started in response to another post very much like yours.
http://www.myriad-online.com/cgi-bin/bbs/YaBB.pl?board=goldbase;action=d isplay;num=1152082021

We all know that quality music is more than quality samples.
Here is just a very simple strummed ukulele and a gifted singer.
&feature=related
I would have listened to him with respect even if he had been accompanied by a shop compressor.
He could easily have made a great sounding song with any of your GMSE samples and offered it for sale with his other work.

Even so, of course you should get the gold sound base because it is made to integrate with HA/MA, costs next to nothing and will expand by quite a bit the number of richly textured sounds available for you to combine into distinctive music.

« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2008, 5:31am by James Warren » offline
Reuel
Board Full Member

« Reply #3 on: Apr 20th, 2008, 5:46am »
Quote | Modify

Absolutely!

I have had HA with GMSE 2 for more than 2 years. But I only got Gold Base 2 recently.

It is excellent and abolutely MORE than worth it.

« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2008, 2:43pm by Reuel » offline

Reuel

HA 9.6.3i, VS, Gold Sound base 2 on Windows 10 x64
Albert_KW
Board Senior Member

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20th, 2008, 6:06am »
Quote | Modify

I agree with the posts above. The Gold Base has a much wider choice of instruments and (most of them) sound much better in Gold Base.
When I first bought MA I wrote several hours of music (with the standard GMMP Base) and was very happy with it. Basically; you don't miss what you don't know.

You must realize however that when you change to Gold Base, you will have to redefine all instruments in the music you have already made with the GMSE. I found that certain effects I got in GMMP did not work in Gold, because they were based on the sounds provided by GMMP. Your old files will not automatically switch to the best alternative in Gold. So you will have to do a little experimenting. And you will have to completely redefine any drum kits you compiled. But I think it is very much worth the trouble.

You will find that not only is there a much wider choice of sounds, they also sound much better (notably the wind instruments and the acoustic instruments, like nylon string guitar and solo cello and violin. When you have used Gold for a while and you then return to your old GMSE, you will definately hear the difference.

On the other hand; if the sound base that you use does everything you require of it, then there is no urgent reason to switch to Gold. Despite its limitations, the standard GMMP Base still sound much better then some sound files you can find on the internet. And as a little side thought; no matter how close Gold will get you, the only thing that really sounds like a live recording .... is a live recording.  

A.
Robert_A.
Beta-tester
Board Master

Vocalist

WWW |

« Reply #5 on: Apr 21st, 2008, 4:04am »
Quote | Modify

Gold Base does well with individual instruments and small arrangements. Some of the instruments are superb. If you want to hear "massive orchestral sounds" then it may or may not be an improvement over the GMMP base. Likewise, certain effects (such as "wailing sax" in jazz) are produced by playing techniques that are not part of the sheet music, so no sound base will produce them without extensive, expert intervention.
music_love931
Board Newbie

music_love931   music_love931

« Reply #6 on: Apr 22nd, 2008, 5:02am »
Quote | Modify

I don't have my gold sound base yet.I want to know how much is gold sound base is?Is the postal delivery to our home includes in the price?

Josie Scott
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2011, 8:35am by Sylvain Machefert » offline
craighaylett
Board Newbie

« Reply #7 on: Jun 1st, 2011, 2:02pm »
Quote | Modify

Gold 2 is well worth it's money.  $30! or £15(ish) is really cheap.  

There is work to do on some of the sounds but it is an improvement on the built-in sounds.

I wish Myriad would put more effort into writing a new and improved Harmony and Gold 3 combo.

I can already see it.... Harmony Assistant 2011!   Drools at the thought.
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2011, 2:02pm by craighaylett » offline
Ramses12
Board Senior Member

Ramses12_gmc@yahoo.com  

« Reply #8 on: Jun 1st, 2011, 4:37pm »
Quote | Modify

I have it. I love it. It worths every penny.

It's pretty cheap, so you could give it a try.
crimhead
Board Master

Mainz   Germany

WWW | Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 29th, 2011, 5:56am »
Quote | Modify

Heya.

You can export your tracks as midi and import them into Cakewalk or any other mixing and recording software. There you can trigger all kinds of softsynths with your midi tracks and extent the sound possibilities in this way. You can also use more effects than you have in Melody/Harmony. Or you can connect Harmony via a Virtual midi connection with a softsynth of your choice and use it´s sounds right from within the program.

best regards

Lutz

Please visit me at https://soundcloud.com/lutzstahlhofen/
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad