please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 11:14pm 
   Myriad Forum
   Melody Assistant / Harmony Assistant
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Feature request: Insert measures and lock those to the right
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Feature request: Insert measures and lock those to the right  (Read 2813 times)
wordmuse
Board Full Member

Feature request: Insert measures and lock those to the right  
« on: May 31st, 2018, 1:51am »
Quote | Modify

There are times I want to insert 10 measure in a multi-staff score. And then I want to start adding notes. Things work fine if I have the Options menu set to Limit Editing to One Bar.  

However there are times I want to be a bit more free-flowing (which is why we have this as an option, yes?). So if I have the "one measure editing" turned off, as I insert and delete notes, the measure off to the right of the inserted measures start getting messed up relative to each other.

What would be very helpful would be to have a setting that says when I insert measures, the notes to the right of the insertion are to be considered as having their own starting point, which does not change unless I intentionally change it.

Hopefully this makes sense. And if it does, maybe it can be considered?

- Bal  

Lagaffe
Board Master

Bricoleur DPLG

Email

Re: Feature request: Insert measures and lock those to the right  
« Reply #1 on: May 31st, 2018, 8:42am »
Quote | Modify

When I add notes I only use "one mesure editing" ON.
When I work on lyrics I often use "one mesure editing" OFF

En 4/4 par exemple, avec "limiter l'édition à la mesure" OFF, l'insertion d'une croche avant une série de rondes va séparer la ronde suivante en blanche + noire + croche.
Ce qui est normal, mais indésirable...

Pourquoi faire simple... Quand on peut faire compliqué ?
iMac 27 4GHz 24Go DDR3, Macbook pro
HA 9.9.7e
Melody Player
Mac OS Monterey
wordmuse
Board Full Member

« Reply #2 on: May 31st, 2018, 9:54am »
Quote | Modify

I guess we compose in different manners. Just thinking about what would help with the way I use HA.  
Lagaffe
Board Master

Bricoleur DPLG

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 31st, 2018, 5:52pm »
Quote | Modify

"limiter l'édition à la mesure" ne peut pas être à la fois ON et OFF !

Things work fine if I have the Options menu set to Limit Editing to One Bar.

So you need to turn it ON:
In top menu choose
- Option
- Limiter l'édition à la mesure

HA 9.9.7e
Melody Player
Mac OS Monterey
wordmuse
Board Full Member

« Reply #4 on: May 31st, 2018, 7:47pm »
Quote | Modify

That's not what I am asking for.  I guess I'm not being clear. So I will try again.  

The way I compose music is iterative. I will write maybe 50 measures and then have ideas about a passage to insert at bar 35.  So I want to insert 10 bars. Simple. HA lets me do that.  

So now, I have a score that goes to bar 60 with 10 blank measures starting at 35 and the rest of the score starting at 45.

What I am asking for is that everything from bar 45 be locked and unaffected by anything done before bar 45.  

Currently, do do this, I have to cut measures that I want to protect and paste them in a separate score - that I call "scratchpad."  Then when I am done with my edits, I can go to scratchpad and copy what's there and paste it back into the score.  This is doable, but cumbersome. I would like a more streamlined way to go about it.

- Bal
JP
Board Master

WWW | Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 1st, 2018, 8:05am »
Quote | Modify

I understand your point and I agree it would be a "nice to have" feature.
I'm afraid there is no hidden function or tricky way of simulating it in the product. I don't even imagine how we could make a script to do that...
Any idea?
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2018, 8:21am by JP » offline
wordmuse
Board Full Member

« Reply #6 on: Jun 1st, 2018, 9:27am »
Quote | Modify

Cool - I'm glad I made the point clearly. I'm not savvy on script making. It also seems like something that would have to be part of the program itself rather than a script.
PaulL
Board Master

Retired organist and choir director; former progra

« Reply #7 on: Jun 1st, 2018, 3:57pm »
Quote | Modify

I apparently still don't understand the question.  If you want to fill up your inserted 10 measures without displacing the following notes, turn on "Limit editing to one bar."  If you want the following notes to start moving, turn it off.  It seems a bit perverse to turn it off and then expect the notes not to be affected.  What am I missing?

Le coeur a ses raisons, que la Raison ne connaît point.
Paul Littlefield, retired Church musician

HA+VS+PdfToMusic Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Lagaffe
Board Master

Bricoleur DPLG

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 1st, 2018, 5:48pm »
Quote | Modify

Une piste?

Même avec "limiter l'édition à la mesure" ON il peut y avoir un décalages de notes sur les mesures suivantes.
Ceci se produit en cas de changement de métrique en cours de partition.
Avant d'insérer des mesures il peut être prudent d'insérer une indication de métrique sur la mesure qui suit l'endroit prévu pour l'insertion.

Le changement de métrique est je pense le seul cas où les notes suivantes peuvent se déplacer.

HA 9.9.7e
Melody Player
Mac OS Monterey
wordmuse
Board Full Member

« Reply #9 on: Jun 2nd, 2018, 12:22am »
Quote | Modify

That's a good idea - marking the beginning of the score following the insert. Then I could simply line things up again. That's what I will do going forward.

To answer the question though...  

There are times that I insert several bars, do my work, sometimes turning the limit editing to one bar on and off, and when I go to the music to the right of the inserted bars, the staves are no longer aligned. The idea of simply marking the notes that start after the insertion is a good one and should do the trick.

But it would be nice to have it so that HA simply locked all measures to the right of the insertion unless I turned that off, leaving me free to work with a single measure or not to the left of the inserted bars.

Now that I have a working solution, this isn't as important to me - put it in the "nice to have" category.

Thanks for the idea Lagaffe.
Lagaffe
Board Master

Bricoleur DPLG

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 2nd, 2018, 9:01am »
Quote | Modify

For example: The only fact of inserting one 4/4 measure in a 3/4 staff will have a funny effect on following measures even with the editing option ON.

If you find a pdf on the net and open it with pdfToMusic you often have this kind of problem.
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2018, 9:02am by Lagaffe » offline

HA 9.9.7e
Melody Player
Mac OS Monterey
bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #11 on: Jun 2nd, 2018, 9:20am »
Quote | Modify

on Jun 2nd, 2018, 9:01am, Lagaffe wrote:
For example: The only fact of inserting one 4/4 measure in a 3/4 staff will have a funny effect on following measures even with the editing option ON.
I've noticed that this side effect can be addressed by "locking" the time signature : insert an invisible time signature in the first bar following the targeted insertion before inserting the bar or else HA will copy the new time signature to all the bars.

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
demachaut
Board Newbie

« Reply #12 on: Oct 3rd, 2018, 5:29pm »
Quote | Modify

on May 31st, 2018, 1:51am, wordmuse wrote:
There are times I want to insert 10 measure in a multi-staff score. And then I want to start adding notes. Things work fine if I have the Options menu set to Limit Editing to One Bar.  

However there are times I want to be a bit more free-flowing (which is why we have this as an option, yes?). So if I have the "one measure editing" turned off, as I insert and delete notes, the measure off to the right of the inserted measures start getting messed up relative to each other.

What would be very helpful would be to have a setting that says when I insert measures, the notes to the right of the insertion are to be considered as having their own starting point, which does not change unless I intentionally change it.

Hopefully this makes sense. And if it does, maybe it can be considered?

- Bal  

Just want to add: This happens to me A LOT, and it's very frustrating to try to correct the "messing up" of the measures to the right that results. I'm going through it right now, and want to cry or give up!

deMachaut
PaulL
Board Master

Retired organist and choir director; former progra

« Reply #13 on: Oct 12th, 2018, 7:06pm »
Quote | Modify

I've been considering this matter, and I wonder this:  would inserting quite a few extra measures help protect the remainder of the score?  The empty measures shouldn't push notes ahead, because they have nothing in them, not even rests.  Once you are done editing it is simple to remove any remaining empty measures.

Again, I'm still not sure exactly what the problem is, so take this suggestion for what it's worth.
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2018, 7:06pm by PaulL » offline

Le coeur a ses raisons, que la Raison ne connaît point.
Paul Littlefield, retired Church musician

HA+VS+PdfToMusic Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Tony Deff
Board Master

Email

Lock the alignment of parts   Before_time_signature_change.png
« Reply #14 on: Oct 21st, 2019, 5:18pm »
Quote | Modify

on Oct 12th, 2018, 7:06pm, PaulL wrote:
... I'm still not sure exactly what the problem is, so take this suggestion for what it's worth.

As one who has spent many an anguished hour trying to "re-align" the parts in a scrambled score, here is an example. (see result on next page)

The object of the exercise is to change Bar #1 from 44 to 34, whilst keeping the purple notes aligned.  
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2019, 5:29pm by Tony Deff » offline

Anglophone, HA 64 Win.10, amateur composer.
La musique classique est ce dont vous attendez toujours qu'elle se transforme en mélodie
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad