Myriad Forum « How does one enter an episema in Gregorian Chant? »
 Welcome, Guest.
 You can read all messages, but to be able to post,
 please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:21pm 
   Myriad Forum
   Melody Assistant / Harmony Assistant
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   How does one enter an episema in Gregorian Chant?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: How does one enter an episema in Gregorian Chant?  (Read 581 times)
matta
Board Newbie

How does one enter an episema in Gregorian Chant?  
« on: Dec 4th, 2019, 9:37am »
Quote | Modify

It is the small stroke underneath a neume that indicates emphasis.
I cannot see it on the Note Display Tools or the Gregorian Tools windows.
SDoerr
Board Full Member

stephen.doerr@yahoo.com  
Email

Re: How does one enter an episema in Gregorian Chant?  
« Reply #1 on: Dec 4th, 2019, 10:43am »
Quote | Modify

I see it in Gregorian Tools, immediately to the left of the flat symbol.

Edit:  but it goes above the neume.

--  
Steve
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2019, 10:46am by SDoerr » offline

Steve Doerr
Gravesend, UK
SDoerr
Board Full Member

stephen.doerr@yahoo.com  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 4th, 2019, 10:49am »
Quote | Modify

OK, you can tell I know nothing about Gregorian notation! You're looking for a short vertical stroke below the note, not the longer 'horizontal episema' above the note. Sorry!

--  
Steve

Steve Doerr
Gravesend, UK
Oliveira
Board Master

« Reply #3 on: Dec 4th, 2019, 12:58pm »
Quote | Modify

Es un signo especial. Yo lo haría insertando una l (Arial) del tamaño 8 +- con la herramienta de TEXTO. Prácticamente no se desplaza nada aunque se modifique el layout.

Mi música: http://jose_a__oliveira.myriad-users.com/
www.atrilcoral.com /
H.A 996c.64bt V.S. Myriad HQ / PDF to Music Pro 1.7.5c / Overture 5.6.3 / Win 10/6
matta
Board Newbie

« Reply #4 on: Dec 5th, 2019, 5:06am »
Quote | Modify

So, in fact, there is no way to enter the note and episema?  
Just drawing it means that it won't be represented in any way, when it is played back or when Virtual Singer is used.
Tony Deff
Board Master

Email

Re: How does one enter an episema in Gregorian Chant?   Vertcal_episema.png
« Reply #5 on: Dec 5th, 2019, 11:58am »
Quote | Modify

Having looked at the Gregorian mode for the first time ever in 11 years of using H.A., I would say it looks as though you are correct.

When researching episema on-line, Wikipedia takes me to an article about moths, but the following confirms your requirement: http://rickmk.com/Chant/

It would seem to require this feature to be added to H.A.  
An e-mail to support asking how to "add an episema equivalent to marcato" would be be the best option (the Democratic Forum does not seem to be acted upon at in recent years)

Anglophone, HA 64 Win.10, amateur composer.
La musique classique est ce dont vous attendez toujours qu'elle se transforme en mélodie
bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #6 on: Dec 5th, 2019, 12:52pm »
Quote | Modify

on Dec 5th, 2019, 5:06am, matta wrote:
So, in fact, there is no way to enter the note and episema?  
Just drawing it means that it won't be represented in any way, when it is played back or when Virtual Singer is used.
True, but there is a sort of workaround : while defining the effect, you can change the velocity of the note. The trouble is that you have to do the process for each episema. I think this operation can be made through a simple scipt (select all the neums that require an episema then apply the script which will both add  the mark and change its velocity).

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
PaulL
Board Master

Retired organist and choir director; former progra

« Reply #7 on: Jan 9th, 2020, 1:43pm »
Quote | Modify

For the record, the meaning and interpretation of the various marks that appear in Gregorian chant has been subject to a great deal of debate over the past couple of centuries.  For example, no one today has any idea of how the quilisma was actually performed, although there is something of a consensus in current performance practice.

The problem is that there is no monastic community with an uninterrupted tradition of either monastic life or of chanting, so to some extent modern chant practice is the result of people's best ideas of the practices of former centuries.  Furthermore, it is known that many variations of performance practice existed across Europe in the heyday of Gregorian chant, so almost everything that communities do these days has some kind of historical justification.  When I was a Benedictine monk, my community's practice was basically to ignore the vertical episemata, and regardless of markings we doubled the final note (or two) of phrases.  I believe that some of this was Anglican tradition, while the rest would have come from a Swiss Roman Catholic Benedictine community in Indiana, which which we had ties.

Moreover, you can read all the writings of Dom Mocquereau and Dom Pothier, and you will come away with a lot of mystical talk and very little practical idea of how to proceed.  In fact, just to confuse you, I should point out that Hiley, in Western Plainchant:  A Handbook, remarks that if you follow Pothier's instructions you will end up with a Mocquereau-style performance, and vice versa.  And you don't want me to get started on the whole subject of the ictus!
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2020, 1:46pm by PaulL » offline

Le coeur a ses raisons, que la Raison ne connaît point.
Paul Littlefield, retired Church musician

HA+VS+PdfToMusic Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad