please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 8:53am 
   Myriad Forum
   Melody Assistant / Harmony Assistant
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Bar Menu Options Suggestion
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Bar Menu Options Suggestion  (Read 502 times)
VRNocturne
Board Newbie

Bar Menu Options Suggestion  
« on: May 8th, 2020, 10:41pm »
Quote | Modify

When I want to change the bar options of multiple bars, I can't see how to do it. I try to select all the bars I want change (click and drag over the bar grid to highlight them, right-click a bar number, toggle an option). When I do this, only the bar I right-clicked in changes. This is in contrast to things like the bar width or margins I can change the behavior of multiple/all bars in the score.

So, I propose a couple ideas for consideration in future updates.

a) allow selecting multiple bars and then changing the bar options will apply to all selected bars.  

and/or  

b) in the score creation screen, where we select the score options, orchestra, etc., have a new button named "Bars" that will display the bar options. Then, we can toggle them as we like and they would apply to all bars in the newly created score.  

The benefit of option A would be an easier way to change bar options, especially in larger scores or a large number of bars you want to change in your composition.

The benefit of option B would be the ability to have the score set up on creation and, even better, the ability to save it as part of a custom template to further speed new score creation.
Tony Deff
Board Master

Email

Re: Bar Menu Options Suggestion  
« Reply #1 on: May 9th, 2020, 11:59am »
Quote | Modify

On the Board Home window, top-right, is the (rather small) option to switch to the  "Atelier Démocratique" (Democratic Workshop) Forum link, which is the proper place for Suggestions.  There in no guarantee, however, that these suggestions are easily implementable, or even that the programmers have time to read them.  

Here is a suggestion made in 2017, that has not been taken-up: Bar menu: extended

The problem with your suggestion is that most options applicable to right-clicking in a bar header only make sense when applied to a single bar.
www.myriad-online.com/images/workshop/Extended_Bar_Menu_screenshot.png

Anglophone, HA 64 Win.10.
An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.
ANdre_B
Board Master

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 10th, 2020, 8:16am »
Quote | Modify

At first I would have said the same, the actions available from the "bar menus" must rarely apply on several (selected) or all measures.  
I better understood your wish when looking at your append in the Democratic Workshop. This very option "Don't split notes" can make sense on a selection or all bars.  

But particularly when the action is to eliminate these settings. It wouldn't make sense  to specify "End of page after this bar" on a selection... but it makes sense to reset that.  

Some time ago, I made a script which resets all "End of line/End of Page" on a score... that could be extended, or be a base to set or reset "Don't split notes".  

There could be a series of such scripts, eventually accessible from the Score menu (or elsewhere).    

I might append here some examples, though not supporting selections, but "limited" to the whole score  

André Baeck, de retour en Belgique après 12 ans passés dans le Gard.
Windows 11, HA 997e (et précédents)
ANdre_B
Board Master

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 10th, 2020, 4:08pm »
Quote | Modify

Here an example of a script which resets as well the EOL/EOP tags as the "Split Notes" one
Quote:

-- Supprimer tous les taquets EOL/EOP   -- suppress end of line/end of page tags on all bars  
-- and reset "Don't Split Notes"  
myScore = FrontScore()  if myScore == nil then Message("No score availabkle") end  
for m = 1,myScore.NumberOfBars  do -- number of bars in score  
    bar = myScore.GetGlobalBarSetting(m)
    bar.IsEndOfLine = false
    bar.IsEndOfPage = false
    bar.IsSplitNotes = true
end --for

PaulL
Board Master

Retired organist and choir director; former progra

« Reply #4 on: May 11th, 2020, 6:11pm »
Quote | Modify

Remember that there are a few choices that affect all bars on the Score > Page Mode Setup menu, in particular Force number of bars per line, Force number of lines per page, etc., which are particularly valuable when used to set the values to 0 (i.e., remove the End of Line and End of Page settings for all bars in the score).  I suppose these commands could be modified to operate on a selection, as well as on the entire score.

Le coeur a ses raisons, que la Raison ne connaît point.
Paul Littlefield, retired Church musician

HA+VS+PdfToMusic Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
ANdre_B
Board Master

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 12th, 2020, 6:02pm »
Quote | Modify

Paul, these "options" are actually scripts which are expected to perform adjustments to reach the objective.  
They will adjust sizing ans spacing values to achieve that objective, but as a once/off action. The indicated values do not remain part of the score.  

If have tried that, with disappointing results.

Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad