please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 11:56am 
   Myriad Forum
   Melody Assistant / Harmony Assistant
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   MIDI Echo not working
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: MIDI Echo not working  (Read 769 times)
ilpelle
Board Newbie

MIDI Echo not working  
« on: Apr 6th, 2021, 4:48pm »
Quote | Modify

Hello everybody,
I have tried all possible combinations that came to my mind, and searched through the forum, but to no avail.
While using a MIDI keyboard to input notes, no audio is echoed, so I can't really tell what I'm playing.

This is true both in simplified input and real-time input modes.
As soon as I hit spacebar to play, the audio works fine.

Below, a short video showing what's going on. Plus all the screenshot of the (what I suppose) relevant settings. Someone has mentioned on the forum the low latency synthetizer as the echo method, but apparently it's not listed in the dropdown menu (see last image below).

VIDEO DEMO HERE.

Running on Arch Linux 64 bits, using HA 9.9.3e, using PulseAudio (which correctly recognizes HA to use ALSA when running in playback mode).

Any direction and/or help is appreciated!
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2021, 4:31pm by ilpelle » offline
bubu42
Board Master

Re: MIDI Echo not working   hardware_settings01.png
« Reply #1 on: Apr 7th, 2021, 1:02pm »
Quote | Modify

on Apr 6th, 2021, 4:48pm, ilpelle wrote:

Below, a short video showing what's going on. Plus all the screenshot of the (what I suppose) relevant settings. Someone has mentioned on the forum the low latency synthetizer as the echo method, but apparently it's not listed in the dropdown menu (see last image below).
It's probably due to some device settings, but I can't see the image you mention (I guess it's probably a screen copy of the general settings).
Now, I've run HA (Win-32 bits) on my Ubuntu system through Wine and it does work. I'm going to run a Linux 64-bit version too, but as I don't own a licence for this version, I may have troubles setting it correctly.
So far, we already know that your keyboard MIDI-in port is OK (you can input the notes), the audio ouput is working (you can hear the music in playback mode). I suppose HA is using a different channel for the echo and here comes the case of the low latency synthesizer : it appears on a windows-based HA but not on a linux-based version... I'm going to enquire about this. For the time being, I can't think of any other workaround but redirecting the echo to a channel supported by ALSA. Here is a screen copy of both systems (linux on the left, windows/WiNE on the right). By the way, I'm currently using a virtual MIDI cable (MIDIYoke) to manage my master-keyboard (Miditech groovestation).

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
bubu42
Board Master

Re: MIDI Echo not working  
« Reply #2 on: Apr 7th, 2021, 2:18pm »
Quote | Modify

After trial and error... It seems to work on my system, at least for the simplified input mode. Here's what I've checked :
1- Configuration>Global setup>Keyboard : radio button "+MIDI input or Virtual keyboard palette" = selected,"Note duration according to pressure time" = unchecked, "Keyspeed" = on the fast side.
2- Configuration>Hardware configuration : MIDI input (at the bottom of the windows) = the external device (e.g. master keyboard) I use, Echo to = "Harmony Assistant in:in"

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
bubu42
Board Master

Re: MIDI Echo not working   hardware_settings02.png
« Reply #3 on: Apr 7th, 2021, 2:23pm »
Quote | Modify

Ooops ! Forgot to attach the screen copy. Here it is.

ilpelle
Board Newbie

« Reply #4 on: Apr 7th, 2021, 4:43pm »
Quote | Modify

Thanks a lot bubu42 for your feedback.

I didn't notice the discrepancy between the windows and the linux version on this.
I installed through wine Melody 32 bit, for which I have an old licence. Using the low latency synthesizer I can hear the echo.

But then this made me think that the synthesizer in the windows application is just rendering the waveform from the midi INPUT to the soundcard, and there are other ways to do that.

So I installed FluidSynth and launched the server as:

Code:
fluidsynth --server --audio-driver=pulseaudio /usr/share/soundfonts/FluidR3_GM.sf2

A FLUID Synth echo channel then appeared in HA. If I select it, then I can hear notes while playing, and the delay is almost unnoticeable. I am also bypassing ALSA in this way, which is a bit prehistoric and typically causes additional delays.

Still, HA is defaulting the output to bank=0 prog=0, even if the instrument is changed from the input. So I can only play an acoustic grand piano so far. But that's something I'll investigate at a later stage.

Thanks again for pointing me towards the solution!
PaulL
Board Master

Retired organist and choir director; former progra

Re: MIDI Echo not working   Echo_window.jpg
« Reply #5 on: Apr 9th, 2021, 4:18pm »
Quote | Modify

Don't forget the settings in Configuration > Global Setup > Echo.

Le coeur a ses raisons, que la Raison ne connaît point.
Paul Littlefield, retired Church musician

HA+VS+PdfToMusic Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
ilpelle
Board Newbie

« Reply #6 on: Apr 9th, 2021, 4:40pm »
Quote | Modify

Thanks PaulL. They were set already as per your screenshot. Still, if I'm not using an external synthesizer, I hear no echo.
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad