please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 12:44pm 
   Myriad Forum
   PDFtoMusic / PDFtoMusic Pro
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   I cannot export full scores to midi
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: I cannot export full scores to midi  (Read 788 times)
Jon_Neukam
Board Newbie

I cannot export full scores to midi   Screenshot_2021-04-15_212257_problem.jpg
« on: Apr 16th, 2021, 4:43am »
Quote | Modify

I am using pdf files bought directly from a sheet music company.  I do not believe this is a matter that has to do with codas.  

The pdf file might have five to nine pages but the exported midi is equivalent to only the first 40% of the score, if that.

The screenshot shows 226 measures available from nine pages of the score.

The export to midi file cuts off at the 36th measure.

This problem is common with all of the pdf files which have been professionally scanned.

Any help with a solution, please?

Jon_Neukam
Board Newbie

Re: I cannot export full scores to midi   Screenshot_2021-04-15_214455_2.jpg
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16th, 2021, 4:45am »
Quote | Modify

You can see in this screenshot of the exported midi file what the the exported file has been limited to:

Sylvain Machefert
Administrator

WWW |

Re: I cannot export full scores to midi  
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16th, 2021, 7:59am »
Quote | Modify

Hello,
Is it possible to attach the PDF to a reply on this forum?
So other users can try.

What disturbs me is that you write about "scanned" scores.
PdfToMusic is not working on image PDF (made by scanning a paper) but from score exported as PDF in another music software.

OMeR, SharpEye and other can work with scanned scores, which is very different task.

But I wonder how PdfToMusic see 226 bars and MIDI only contains 36.

Is the PDF a aggregate of several PDF, some scaned, some exported from music software?

That's look very strange, so please provide the file as we can try.
I'm not PdfToMusic expert but I can try next week.

HA+HQ+VS+PdfToM, Reaper+Audiveris+Transcribe, Win10+Focusrite Scarlet 4i4+Nord Electro 3
Linktree: VS languages, my scripts, my bands, my performances...
ANdre_B
Board Master

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16th, 2021, 9:22am »
Quote | Modify

I intended to say almost the same as Sylvain did.  

Apparently PDFtoMusic is able to count 226 measures. But a Midi export will show "played" measures, so it can give different numbers. But the difference mentioned is a bit huge.  

To have a better insight, an export in .myr format is more efficient. If you don't have a license for HA or MA, you might make a try with a demo copy, and look at the imported score, even if you cannot do any export of it.  

I have had strange problems with a score showing these guitar fingerings - and not with two other ones from the same publisher who hadn't those.  

You could also try to import one page only, and see what the export looks like. But MIDI exports are no longer common, these days.

André Baeck, de retour en Belgique après 12 ans passés dans le Gard.
Windows 11, HA 997e (et précédents)
ANdre_B
Board Master

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16th, 2021, 9:39am »
Quote | Modify

Something else: When PDFtoMusic shows the score, there is a play triangle you could press, or select "Play" in the "Performance" menu. It then plays and you can follow on the score. This might help determining when the export stops, since most probably "play" will stop at the same place.

Jon_Neukam
Board Newbie

Re: I cannot export full scores to midi   bankrobber__1_.pdf
« Reply #5 on: Apr 16th, 2021, 5:48pm »
Quote | Modify

I'm following y'all.  

First, when I say 'scanned' scores, I meant the ones I am using were purchased as digital downloaded pdf files.  I bought them from Sheet Music Plus.

Attaching them is questionable because of copyrights, however I think some writers like The Clash might be okay with things in the name of humanity and science.  So, I am attaching it with concerns  

When I tried exporting this file just now, it gave me 37 measures of midi but showed 216 as chosen.

Following that attempt, I thought it could be something Sheet Music Plus was entering onto the score and looked for a pdf file from a different source to also reference.  That particular pdf worked.  

"When PDFtoMusic shows the score, there is a play triangle you could press, or select 'Play' in the 'Performance' menu. ...... This might help determining when the export stops, since most probably 'play' will stop at the same place."

Yes.  Thank you for the suggestion.  Indeed, the play stops.  However, it stops at a place inconsistent with the exported midi.  The midi stops at the 37th measure.  The play on PDFtoMusic stops after the 30th measure.  

Can Sheet Music Plus dot com be inserting some type of block so they can lawfully share two or three pages as samples without being concerned about copyright violations and this likewise affects the midi export effort?

ANdre_B
Board Master

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 16th, 2021, 6:25pm »
Quote | Modify

OK I'm looking at it. Playing stops after bar 30 (due to the repeat 19-30, this makes 36 bars.  

There must be a problem with the coda sign at bar 31, but something else too.  

I'll keep you posted. Perhaps some option in "Corrections" should be ticked or unticked.

ANdre_B
Board Master

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 16th, 2021, 9:34pm »
Quote | Modify

Hello Jon,  

PDFtoMusic reads the "To Coda" at bar 31  (3d system of page 3) as if it was a plain "Coda". There are variations of the correct spelling of this instruction, most frequent is "al Coda", but I have seen "dal Coda". There has been a discussion lately whether "To Coda" should be supported.  

If you have Harmony/Melody Assistant, you can save in .myr format and open it in HA/MA; correct the setting, then export (play) to MIDI.  

If you have another editor, and have PDFtoMusic Pro, you can export in XML and do the correction in any editor which will read XML.  

But you have also two options in PDFtoMusic: in the "Performance menu", click on "force played measures", and replace "1-24,19-30" by "1-113". Then your MIDI export will play the score without regard to any break.  

or replace that by "1-48,41-80,73-79,81,9-31,82-113"  and your MIDI export will play in the expected order.

Jon_Neukam
Board Newbie

« Reply #8 on: Apr 17th, 2021, 12:49am »
Quote | Modify

Andre, thanks!

"Force played measures" does the trick.  

And that gives me a lot of playground to work with.  Thanks, again!
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad