please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 7:48am 
   Myriad Forum
   Melody Assistant / Harmony Assistant
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   My own Myr files won't open on my PC
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: My own Myr files won't open on my PC  (Read 834 times)
HoppyMuzicMon
Board Junior Member

My own Myr files won't open on my PC   Chariots_of_Fire_BK.myr
« on: May 14th, 2022, 10:38pm »
Quote | Modify

Hello,
I've suddenly encountered a problem with my own HA (.myr) files causing the programme to freeze almost every time I try to open them.
I can however use the computer for other tasks during this time.

I did manage to open one of my (.myr) files but it won't play; the programme tells me the music has too many bars... it won't resolve.
Strangely though, the HA demo files play normally!!

I checked some of my .myr files on another computer with HA Version 9.9.5c installed and they play normally. This leads me to think that there is no inherent problem with the .myr files.
Would the problem be with my PC, I wonder? But then why this sudden HA failure?

I first tried to uninstal HA using the uninstall.exe programme but this aborted, since “uninstal.cmd was not found”. I then uninstalled HA using regedit, and reinstalled.
Same problem.
What might be the cause here?

I'm attaching one of my .myr files for comparison (although it     does work correctly on my other computer)
Many thanks for your help.

HA Version 9.9.5c
PC 16 GB Ram; 100's of GB disk space..
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2022, 10:39pm by HoppyMuzicMon » offline
bubu42
Board Master

Re: My own Myr files won't open on my PC  
« Reply #1 on: May 15th, 2022, 12:05am »
Quote | Modify

There's probably some sort of trouble with the WACAM folder. If the uninstallation process aborted, some files/folders may still be present on the hard drive.
How about taking a look at c:\windows\Program Files (or is it Program Files (x64) ? If the folder Harmony Assistant is still there, trash it to the bin and re-install Harmony Assistant.
Of course, backup your music files in a safe place beforehand !

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
HoppyMuzicMon
Board Junior Member

« Reply #2 on: May 15th, 2022, 4:47am »
Quote | Modify

Hello Bubu42 and thanks for  your input.
Yes, I did actually locate HA folder on the relevant hard drive and manually deleted all files.
As I mentioned, I uninstalled via regedit. And reinstalled from scratch.
Yes, all my music files are elsewhere!!
Grateful for any other pointers!
I don't know anything about the "Wacam" point you raise: I'll look it up!
Tony Deff
Board Master

Email

Re: Too many bars   Bar_321_settings.png
« Reply #3 on: May 15th, 2022, 9:23am »
Quote | Modify

Bizarre - in Scroll/Ribbon mode, I have never seen so many "ghost" bars after the end of the printable score.  

With so many views, that is a data-intensive score!
I presume that the large print-size is intentional (1-2 bars per page) ?

Although the end-of-music occurs after bar #34, here is a screenshot of "ghost" bars from #321 (difficult to see in light blue).

The bar numbers in brackets, such as 141(476) indicate that somewhere earlier a bar has been marked as "Do not take into account"  
It is as though the file is lacking a correct "end-of-file" marker

Does the computer on which your files run successfully have a different "Undo" setting (Global configuration)?  
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2022, 9:24am by Tony Deff » offline

Anglophone, HA 64 Win.10, amateur composer.
La musique classique est ce dont vous attendez toujours qu'elle se transforme en mélodie
Lagaffe
Board Master

Bricoleur DPLG

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 15th, 2022, 9:33am »
Quote | Modify

No problem of this kind for me

HA 995d1, Mac OS Mojave

Pourquoi faire simple... Quand on peut faire compliqué ?
iMac 27 4GHz 24Go DDR3, Macbook pro
HA 9.9.7e
Melody Player
Mac OS Monterey
Sylvain Machefert
Administrator

WWW |

« Reply #5 on: May 15th, 2022, 10:45am »
Quote | Modify

No problem opening and playing your file here on my PC.

I just had 2 warnings about a font not present on my computer > OK
and about print setup, "do you want to keep original size" ? (or something like that) > I clicked no. The score looks normal, not 1-2 bars per page.

It has a lot of ghost bars as already pointed, but that doesn't seem to be the origin of the problem, HA can manage 9999 bars.

Try:
  • In global setup > Undo > Don't save undo

HA+HQ+VS+PdfToM, Reaper+Audiveris+Transcribe, Win10+Focusrite Scarlet 4i4+Nord Electro 3
    Linktree: VS languages, my scripts, my bands, my performances...
    Oliveira
    Board Master

Re: My own Myr files won't open on my PC   Chariots_of_Fire_BK2.myr
    « Reply #6 on: May 15th, 2022, 10:56am »
    Quote | Modify

Yo tampoco he tenido problema con el .myr. El único ajuste que hice  fué desplazar un poco el pentagrama hacia abajo y el número de compás hacia arriba. Todo bien.
    Estoy en Windows 10. H.A. 9.9.5c.
    « Last Edit: May 15th, 2022, 10:59am by Oliveira » offline

Mi música: http://jose_a__oliveira.myriad-users.com/
    www.atrilcoral.com /
    H.A 996c.64bt V.S. Myriad HQ / PDF to Music Pro 1.7.5c / Overture 5.6.3 / Win 10/6
    bubu42
    Board Master

« Reply #7 on: May 15th, 2022, 11:21pm »
    Quote | Modify

I have deleted all the empty bars after the end and saved the file under another name. Original file size : 438.2 Kb, new file size : 192.3 Kb.
    My PC runs with 4 Gb of RAM only and the score loads fine. I guess that with 16 Gb there shoudln't be any overload problems...

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
    HoppyMuzicMon
    Board Junior Member

« Reply #8 on: May 16th, 2022, 12:06am »
    Quote | Modify

Many thanks to all for your helpful comments.
    Just thinking, I sent that particular file just as an example. I point out again that this file (and many others) seemed to have no problems until very recently.  
    As for problems such as the extra bars at the end, for example, I'm inclined to think this is not so important. I just hadn't taken time to “clean up” this sample file since I'd still been working on it...  (I'd usually do this at the end of my writing process) and as I've underlined, all was well until... last week

So the problem doesn't seem to be linked to that particular file: I have others that just won't load up (HA just freezes), whereas until last week they all loaded with no problem.
    I did uninstall HA again this morning and “uninstall.exe” worked fine (the previously missing “uninstal.cmd” file was installed with yesterday's re-installation).

Following some of your pointers, particularly regarding previous versions, after uninstalling the current version, I installed a previous version. A little progress, since today, I was able to work on a file (not working before), but I'm still unable to open my other files...
    I'm enclosing another file I've been working on, chosen at random. HA refuses to open it...
    But I say again, all of them worked perfectly until last week!!

This still remains a mystery. Is something modifying my files?

Might it be linked to a Win 10 issue, I wonder?

Thanks again...
    « Last Edit: May 16th, 2022, 12:14am by HoppyMuzicMon » offline
    Tony Deff
    Board Master

Email

« Reply #9 on: May 16th, 2022, 8:24am »
    Quote | Modify

Have you looked at the possibility of "too much history" ?  (see links below)

on May 15th, 2022, 9:23am, Tony Deff wrote:
    Does the computer on which your files run successfully have a different "Undo" setting (Global configuration)?  

on May 15th, 2022, 10:45am, Sylvain Machefert wrote:
    Try: In global setup > Undo > Don't save undo

If all the changes you have made in the last umpteen weeks have been saved within the file(s), then it/they may be mega-enormous.

If changes have been saved in a separate file (Help> Open "Myriad Documents" folder > Settings > History)  
    then too much memory may be swallowed by loading this data.
    (Your second computer would not have this file, so could explain why the files run)

Look at the file sizes and delete all unnecessary files within this folder.
    (Configuration>Global setup>Undo>Delete now empties this folder, then "greys-out" this option)  

http://www.myriad-online.com/cgi-bin/bbs/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=displ ay;num=1626256377;start=0

http://www.myriad-online.com/cgi-bin/bbs/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=displ ay;num=1639052729;start=1
    « Last Edit: May 16th, 2022, 9:00am by Tony Deff » offline

La musique classique est ce dont vous attendez toujours qu'elle se transforme en mélodie
    Sylvain Machefert
    Administrator

WWW |

« Reply #10 on: May 16th, 2022, 8:54am »
    Quote | Modify

Uninstall / reinstall should have no effect, except if you install different version.

User data (such as undo history, settings) may have more effect.
    They are in %APPDATA%\ACAMPREF directory (copy/paste in Start > Run, or explorer "address" bar.

Keep a backup of this directory, better do regular backups.
    For the try, remove it, run Harmony.
    You may be asked to enter your lisence key and setup everything (global config). If it worked, OK, you can continue. Else, close HA and put it back.

I never had to remove this directory, but during beta-tests I bumped into problem with undo history which are inside this directory. Problems should have been solved, but I kept undo history disabled.

HA+HQ+VS+PdfToM, Reaper+Audiveris+Transcribe, Win10+Focusrite Scarlet 4i4+Nord Electro 3
    HoppyMuzicMon
    Board Junior Member

« Reply #11 on: May 16th, 2022, 9:41am »
    Quote | Modify

Thank you Tony Deff and Sylvain Machefert,
    Yes, I had been thinking about memory problems. In relation to the “Undo” / “Save History” factor, certainly seems a plausible, if not probable cause.  
    So does your point (Sylvain Machefert) regarding the limitations of simply re-installing versus removal of the APPDATA file/directory.  

I'll follow these pointers.  
    And update on progress

Thank you.

PS:
    on May 15th, 2022, 9:23am, Tony Deff wrote:
    I presume that the large print-size is intentional (1-2 bars per page) ?

I obviously can't open the file to check this point (!), but I have frome time to time prepared large print set-ups for visually deficient musicians .
    That might explain the unusual layout...
    HoppyMuzicMon
    Board Junior Member

« Reply #12 on: May 16th, 2022, 11:15am »
    Quote | Modify

Good News!

Your combined advice got me on the right track: the Undo settings tweak seems to have done the trick!

on May 15th, 2022, 10:45am, Sylvain Machefert wrote:

Try:
  • In global setup > Undo > Don't save undo

•  
    I did this, closed and restarted HA, then successfully opened and played a few files, including the first one I uploaded for your perusal!

Thus, apparently no need to delve into the  APPDATA file/directory.

So all seems well. Should there be any develpments I'll keep you posted.

In any case, many thanks: I can get back to doing music now

Hoppy  
    Sylvain Machefert
    Administrator

WWW |

« Reply #13 on: May 16th, 2022, 1:27pm »
    Quote | Modify

The undo history was introduced recently, and those, on this forum, who insist on staying on older versions of HA can be wrong, since the problem was solved in last HA version.
    Then, after a quick check that "OK, it seems to work", I diesabled the undo history as I've lived 20+ years without it, and do frequent backups.
    It can be risky in case of future version introducing a bug in reading very old history, and then probably corrupt the file. But good programming practice can avoid this. I'm not in the secret on how .myr files are built.

The undo saved inside the .myr files is, I think, more efficient, but produce larger and larger files.
    The undo history inside %APPDATA%/ACAMPREF is good to get lightweight .myr files, but is more touchy in case of .myr having same name in differents folders.
    It can cause confusion or crash in recent but not latest version. But it can work well after cleaning the history directory

So, if one day I want to enable this feature, I'll choose the history storage in %APPDATA%, safer for files, and knowing how to clean in case of crash.

Tony Deff
    Board Master

Email

Re: deleting history  
    « Reply #14 on: May 16th, 2022, 3:07pm »
    Quote | Modify

I can see how "Don't save undo" can prevent future problems, but it does not delete any history files, so I am not sure how it solved Hoppy's problem.

Maybe the flag "Don't save undo" also stops H.A. from checking the history?

It is worthwhile checking the size of the history files; you may be surprised    
    (Help>Open "Myriad Documents" folder>Settings>History)

Pages: 1 2  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
    YaBB © 2000-2002,
    Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
    Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad