please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 10:28am 
   Myriad Forum
   Myriad HQ / Sound Bases
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Classical orchestra cymbal smash
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Classical orchestra cymbal smash  (Read 4061 times)
carminum
Board Newbie

Classical orchestra cymbal smash   piatti2A8.zip (attachment deleted)
« on: May 23rd, 2010, 5:57pm »
Quote | Modify

Some GoldBase users have, frequently, asked for the inclusion of a real orchestra cymbal smash in a next edition of the the soundbase. The present two cymbals are far from satisfying, they do not sound like the classical two cymbals banged together (the one that goes "SMAAAaaaaaashhhhhhhh......"), the sound is cleary that of a struck suspended cymbal.  
As I need a true cymbal sound in a score I am currently working on I have created the sound myself, using the one provided by GoldBase, and altered it in my sound-processing software applying various filters. The result is quite good and sounds genuine.  
Attached to this post is a ZIP containing two files: one reduced score of the section in which the cymbal sound is used (bars 195 to 243) and a .wav-file. The reduced score is for 5 instrument-types, ranging from discantus to basso, plus timpani, glockenspiel and tubular bells (for this purpose notated on one staff) and the cymbal sound (the part in the score is called 'piatti'). The score is in a rough format, contains no peformance and frasing indications, but the intention of the musical progress is obvious.
Of course the sound can not be added to GoldBase, it has to be imported into the score as a 'user defined sound'.
NB: the cymbal smash can be heard in bar 232.
NB2: don't forget that when you import sounds the size of the .mus-file increases by the size of the sound file.

Maurits.

Maurits
muddle
Board Senior Member

Re: Classical orchestra cymbal smash  
« Reply #1 on: May 31st, 2010, 6:41am »
Quote | Modify

I'm glad to see someone else makes user instruments.   That wav file sounds extremely good, especially being in stereo.
 I don't have the gold base, and for one wild moment when I heard the sample, I thought  ...  " What! .. No one told me this, can the gold base handle stereo instruments? "  
A moment later reality set in,  but I must say, if one could use stereo samples it might add a  new dimension to HA  sound output.  

cheers,   muddle.

You tube videos using HA or Virtual Singers:- https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMuddleglum/videos
carminum
Board Newbie

Re: Classical orchestra cymbal smash   cymbalpic.jpg (attachment deleted)
« Reply #2 on: May 31st, 2010, 2:22pm »
Quote | Modify

@muddle
Thanks for your comments on the cymbal sound.
Yes, I was surprised too when I discovered the stereo sound turns into mono in HA.  
However, it is possible to add spatial effect to either entire scores or individual sounds somwhere in the score. The latter is done of course by using the FX-processor in which one  could load a 'predef' effect like 'church reverb'.  
The first one is done by selecting 'Global Digital Effects' from the 'Score' tab in the menu section. In the score fragment I supplied with my post this is already the case, with parameters 'Delay' and 'Power' of the 'Reverb' set to 119 and 8438 respectively. I don't know (or can't remember....) if the option 'Global Digital Effects' is available in Melody Assistant too.  
In case of this cymbal sound I enhanced its spatial effect in the score by setting the 'Pressure Time' of the actual note to over 100 (121 to be precise), thus prolonging the decay.  
On thing about importing a sound into a score I forgot to mention in my original post. When you import a non-pitched percussion sound make sure the value in the 'Input Note' box is set to '0' (zero), or it will be played at pitch (see pic below).

Maurits

Maurits
carminum
Board Newbie

Re: Classical orchestra cymbal smash   concerto041MYriadForumOK.mus (attachment deleted)
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14th, 2011, 1:34am »
Quote | Modify

An excerpt from a score I'm working on showing another use of the cymbal sound.
It is a score for accordion orchestra, percussion and voice (bass), on a text from the novel 'Frankenstein' by Mary Shelley.
The cymbal sound is heard in bars 133 and 175-181.
The voice is aliased by a trombone (switch off Virtual Singer or it will be sung with the standard voice of HA.)
You need GoldBase II for the proper rendering of the sound.  
The score is still in a raw, unedited state, no dynamics and performance marks entered yet.

Maurits
carminum
Board Newbie

Re: Classical orchestra cymbal smash   bassoconcerto04102.prv (attachment deleted)
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14th, 2011, 1:35am »
Quote | Modify

To hear the excerpt of the previous post with the singer activated here is the .prv file that should be used with it (it goes in the MYRIAD DOCUMENTS folder, in SETTINGS, VOICES).

Maurits
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad