please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 3:13pm 
   Myriad Forum
   Myriad HQ / Sound Bases
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Liaison Harmony Assistant Garritan PO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Liaison Harmony Assistant Garritan PO  (Read 2821 times)
pierruel
Board Master

vieil amoureux de la flûte

Liaison Harmony Assistant Garritan PO  
« on: Aug 23rd, 2018, 6:50pm »
Quote | Modify

Bonjour,
Je ne suis pas sûr d'être sur le bon forum mais s'agissant de sons...
J'avais installé le Garritan Aria Player il y a pas mal d'années ainsi que l'assistant rédigé par Muffit et je viens de les réinstaller après une réinitialisation du PC, mais je n'arrive plus à configurer ensemble HA et GPO. Plus précisément Muffit indique d'aller dans la configuration matérielle de HA et de choisir une des instances de jeu du "studio" Garritan (est-ce le nom ancien du Garritan Aria Player) pour chacune des sorties MIDI. Mais lorsque j'accède à la fenêtre d'affectation des sorties MIDI dans HA j'obtiens une liste de bases de sons mais celle de Garritan n'apparaît pas. Il y a probablement quelque chose que j'oublie de faire, mais quoi ?
Merci de bien vouloir me remettre sur les rails !
Cordialement
Pierre

Pierre Ruel
bubu42
Board Master

Re: Liaison Harmony Assistant Garritan PO  
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23rd, 2018, 7:16pm »
Quote | Modify

A tout hasard, depuis la version avec Myriad HQ et Vsti, est-ce que les bases ne seraient pas redirigées vers ces modules ?
Pourtant, il me semble bien que Garritan fonctionne directement via le MIDI.
D'autre part, peut-être que la base Garritan est à un emplacement inconnu de HA...

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
muddle
Board Senior Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 23rd, 2018, 11:35pm »
Quote | Modify

If I remember correctly you had to have a "midi cable" ( a software cable) installed to connect between HA and the Garritan software.
On my old win 98 computer it could be done with the software "Maple midi cable" .  The 'Maple' input appeared in the midi list of HA.  
The Maple output had to be selected in the Garritan 'input" choice

On a new win 10 computer ( 64 bit) the maple 32 bit could not be used. I have  used instead "loop midi" software.
It's still there free on the internet, just search "loop midi".

It has worked very well  with HA and  can connect, not just one VST to HA, but many if needed.

I have used 3 connections at once  without problem.
 You just give each new cable a new number or name and assign that name in the input selection of the VST you want to send the midi to.
The cable (s) names appear in the output selection of HA .

I confess that every time I install or change something like this software I Panic, thinking  that I am not understanding quite what I am meant to be doing.

But I seem to  remember that Loop midi  installed simply and was simple to set up.
     ==============

A thought.

Perhaps as HA goes to 64 bit  the  HQ ability to run VST's within HA will expand. It would have several advantages. You could run the Aria player under the HQ without the midi cable.  

There is hope for this. I have  Kontact Player vst here, one of the players used by the professionals for the highest quality music.   By sheer chance on one attempt it actually played for a few minutes in  HA as an internal VST.   Until it suddenly announced " there is no more memory left".

It does not do that in normal standalone mode, midi driven mode  with HA !
And it has not run in HA HQ on any other attempts so there is room for improvement  I think.

Muddle

You tube videos using HA or Virtual Singers:- https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMuddleglum/videos
pierruel
Board Master

« Reply #3 on: Aug 24th, 2018, 7:13am »
Quote | Modify

Many thanks Muddle and Bubu42,
J'ai indiqué à HA l'emplacement de GPO mais sans succès. Merci tout de même
Now to Muddle, as my English is far from perfect, I hope I understand correctly. The last part "A thought" is not very easy for me.
As I work with Windows 10, I've to choose the "loop midi" solution. Reading the explanations of Muffit, I believed that a cable or other similar device or piece of  software was needed only to connect if using Kontaktplayer. I'll download and test the loop midi solution and, if necessary, download KontaktPlayer2 too.  
Thank you very much for exhaustive explanations.
regards
Pierre

Pierre Ruel
pierruel
Board Master

« Reply #4 on: Aug 24th, 2018, 3:00pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi everybody, Hello Muddle,  
I downloaded MIDILoop and installed it easily in the same directory as HA (correct ?). In HA, I  could choose Loopmidi (or Midiloop   ) in the list for each midi output; in Aria I checked MIDILoop in the Preferences window but I still hear the Myriad sound base (I haven't reinstalled Gold yet). I seem remember that one had to connect each MIDI output to a specific instrument staff in HA but I hadn't the opportunity to do so this time. Surely I forgot something but what ?
Thank you for any help.
Regards
Pierre

Pierre Ruel
muddle
Board Senior Member

« Reply #5 on: Aug 25th, 2018, 12:41pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi Pierre  

If you are still getting HA digital sound instead of ARIA, the most likely cause is the setting on the top left of  HA's staff instrument edit menu. That is where you switch from digital sound to midi output.  
The midi number you enter here should be the number of the midi port you have set in HA's Hardware configuration menu for the loop midi.  
 This is the simplest thing to try.  
 If it now works .. excellent.

I will leave below a long note I wrote earlier about midi to ARIA  that might give  extra explanation.

===============================

I am assuming you have the later version of GPO that uses the ARIA player as you mention its name.  

There are up to 12  "midi output" slots for different output targets in HA's hardware confguration menu,  but probably  you  have used the first.)  
 Yes?

About midi channel numbers.  
When you load an instrument  into one of ARIA's  16 instrument "slots"   there is a midi channel that can be set for that slot.    

For  ARIA  to play  from HA, the midi channel which  HA  sends must be the same as the midi channel of the slot/instrument you have chosen.  
 This is done on the " staff instrument edit"  menu of the HA staff you are going to send to ARIA.  

There are two midi  items to be set .
 The second slot at the top left of the menu  is where you  set  the midi output port number you have chosen for your "midi loop" port.      
   i.e. once you have selected MIDI  instead of Digital -- and if  "loop midi"  is set to midi port 1 ...   then the number inserted there should be  1.  

The  actual midi  channel number being sent  is  set on the top right side of  the staff instrument menu .    This is the number that should be the same as the  midi channel of the target instrument in ARIA.  
Midi notes on the HA staff should now go to ARIA via the loop midi  and play the set instrument.  

Further information ..   you can have up to 16 different midi channels on separate HA staves,  and  each one can be sent using  the  same loop midi port to ARIA .      Just make sure that  ARIA instrument slots have  the correct matching midi channels.
==================================

It might seem complicated at first, but in normal use when you look at your HA score,you simply think " I want this staff to play  with ARIA" ,   so you open the staff instrument menu , select the midi  port 1 on the left side slot,   and set  a midi channel  on the right hand menu slot .  
Then  load the Aria player with the desired instrument and set the slots midi channel  number to the same as HA.   ( I  tend to use default channel 1  on my VST's ...  less to change)
Hope that helps ?  
=========================================================

If the sound now works properly there is another thing you could adjust.  
That is, set the exact timing of note playback between ARIA and HA digital when your score uses both sounds.
Often an external source can take many milliseconds  longer to sound than HA.    In the"hardware configuration" menu there is  a slider for each midi port to alter the delay  between HA digital sound and sound from the ouput port.    
I usually adjust the slider by ear, using a two staff score.
 One staff plays  repeating notes of an HA digital piano, and another identical staff  but with midi output,  sends to a midi piano or similar external  percussive sound.   Adjust the slide position  until the sounds seem exactly together.
========================  

By the way , I have tested here a simplified  VST player that uses ARIA and Garritan processes  (its called Sforzando)  It works perfectly with HA when driven by midi.  Sadly, it produces an error when tried in  HA's new HQ  VST system ,  so the Garritan orchestra at this time probably has to be driven by midi output.

Sorry for the long explanation... i find it  hard to express these things.

Regards  David
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2018, 6:33pm by muddle » offline

You tube videos using HA or Virtual Singers:- https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMuddleglum/videos
pierruel
Board Master

« Reply #6 on: Sep 13th, 2018, 11:25am »
Quote | Modify

Hi muddle and everybody,
I left for holiday on August 26th, it's the reason why I didn't thank you for muddle's substantific post. I'll restart from scratch and first of all download the Gold Sound Base.  
Thanks again and friendly regards
Pierre

Pierre Ruel
pierruel
Board Master

« Reply #7 on: Sep 13th, 2018, 8:11pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi muddle,
What I need is probably sort of a « HA to GPO for dummies » !  
I hope I followed correctly your guidelines, but...
I checked my settings and correct them. I didn’t switch from digital to MIDI but now it’s done. The MIDI number on the top left on the staff instrument edit menu is the same as the port where the loopMIDI is connected in the hardware configuration of HA.
From your additional note I noticed that I hadn’t set the channel numbers corresponding to the slot numbers in ARIA. Now it’s done. I have 13 staves in my music but HA has only 12 MIDI ports, so I connected Violins 1 and 2 to the same channel but I hope it doesn’t matter.
Nevertheless I get the correct sound of two flutes (both on staff 1) but no sound at all from the 12 remaining staves.
Something is still wrong but what ?
Thank for your help and parience.
Good evening
Pierre

Pierre Ruel
pierruel
Board Master

« Reply #8 on: Sep 17th, 2018, 10:47pm »
Quote | Modify

Bonsoir,
Maintenant, ça marche !
Le tutoriel de muddle est impec.
Le problème provenait de ce que les volumes par défaut des instruments HA sont tout différents de ceux de GPO, de sorte que mes réglages de la courbe des volumes donnaient des niveaux inaudibles une fois passés par ARIA. Il ne reste donc plus qu'à re-mixer toute l'affaire.
Bonsoir et encore merci.
Cordialement
Pierre

Pierre Ruel
pierruel
Board Master

« Reply #9 on: Jan 7th, 2021, 10:56pm »
Quote | Modify

Good evening Muddle,
I went back to that old discussion (Liaison Harmony Assistant-Garritan PO) because I can't go ahead with HA_to_Kontakt (got a problem with rules/laws with my cello, probably I'll find a way, some time) and, a bit dicouraged, I  tried to have HA working with ARIA (GPO). I had a look to your long post on Aug.25th, 2018 and followed your intructions as well as possible but I got no sound at all. However I wrote finally in that old thread that everything was working perfectly. Why am I not able to do the same now ?
Thank you if you (or somebody else) can answer.
Friendly regards
Pierre

Pierre Ruel
pierruel
Board Master

« Reply #10 on: Jan 7th, 2021, 10:57pm »
Quote | Modify

Good evening Muddle,
I went back to that old discussion (Liaison Harmony Assistant-Garritan PO) because I can't go ahead with HA_to_Kontakt (got a problem with rules/laws with my cello, probnably I'll fdind a way, some time) and, a bit dicouraged, I  tried to have HA working with ARIA (GPO). I had a look to your long post on Aug.25th, 2018 and followed your intructions as well as possible but I got no sound at all. However I wrote finally in that old thread that everything was working perfectly. Why am I not able to do the same now ?
Thank you if you (or somebody else) can answer.
Friendly regards
Pierre

Pierre Ruel
pierruel
Board Master

« Reply #11 on: Apr 5th, 2022, 11:43am »
Quote | Modify

Hi everybody,
As Muddle wrote (approximately) on this thread some time ago "each time I come back to the question of using HA with VST, I feel that I've forgotten everything !"

Muddle wrote a long post about it and in particular Quote:

There are two midi  items to be set .
 The second slot at the top left of the menu  is where you  set  the midi output port number you have chosen for your "midi loop" port.  
   i.e. once you have selected MIDI  instead of Digital -- and if  "loop midi"  is set to midi port 1 ...   then the number inserted there should be  1.
My problme is that I don't see how "loop midi can be set to midi port 1". In LoopMidi I can only add a port and name it.
"Bref", I'm stuck again with that co-operation HA+Garritan PO ! Can somebody explain again ?
Many thanks in advance.
Pierre

Pierre Ruel
pierruel
Board Master

« Reply #12 on: Apr 5th, 2022, 1:56pm »
Quote | Modify

Rebonjour,
Second problème concernant HA cette fois-ci. J'essaie de relier HA à Kontakt chargé avec les samples Amadeus sans passer par MidiLoop, donc dans la fenêtre Editer l'instrument associé je choisis en haut à gauche "Module externe" puis, en cliquant sur "Changer les chemins" j'arrive à une fenêtre où apparaissent 4 modules externes: Kontakt, Reaper, Amadeus et LoopMidi mais quand je les teste j'obtiens pour chacun des 4 le message "Aucun module détecté". Qu'est-ce que j'ai oublié ? Si quelqu'un a une idée, merci d'avance de m'en faire profiter.
Cordialement
Pierre

Pierre Ruel
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad