Myriad Forum « Qui utilise Garritan Personal Orchestra avec HA ? »
 Welcome, Guest.
 You can read all messages, but to be able to post,
 please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:44pm 
   Myriad Forum
   Myriad HQ / Sound Bases
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Qui utilise Garritan Personal Orchestra avec HA ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Qui utilise Garritan Personal Orchestra avec HA ?  (Read 5983 times)
gva
Board Newbie

Qui utilise Garritan Personal Orchestra avec HA ?  
« on: Apr 9th, 2020, 11:50am »
Quote | Modify

Je pose cette question toute simple pour pouvoir échanger avec quelqu'un qui utilise Garritan GPO5 avec HA.

Parce que perso, je n'arrive pas à les faire communiquer.

J'ai posté la semaine dernière sur le même sujet mais sans succès. J'ai envoyé un message aux concepteurs sans réponse pour le moment.

J'ai bien lu dans la doc que GPO5 ne fait pas partie des VST qui ont été testés avec succès par les concepteurs, mais pas non plus des VST qui ont posé des problèmes. J'en conclus que GPO5 n'aurait pas été testé ? Je n'arrive pas à le croire, tant ce module semble être une référence dans son domaine. En tout cas au moins autant que d'autres modules vst de la liste.

Je précise que le module GPO en lui-même me parait hors de soupçon, car je m'en sers sans problème avec d'autres produits (Band-in-a-box par exemple).

Merci d'avance.
muddle
Board Senior Member

Re: Qui utilise Garritan Personal Orchestra avec HA ?  
« Reply #1 on: Apr 9th, 2020, 11:24pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi GVA.  
Because no one else is answering I will say what I know of this.  
The VSTi capability of HA is limited. The listed VSTi  are quite old  and basic .  

However, the 64 bit version works  better.  One of the modern  and more complex VSTi's   that I tried with HA   is "Kontakt"  based .. ( Chris Heins  'solo strings')  and was recognised.
Another user has tried a "Play" based VSTi with similar results.
These did  function in the 64 bit version of HA  but are  limited in operation.  In a standard DAW ( sequencer )  a modern VSTi installs with an interactive interface where you can alter  settings and operation to a high degree.  
 But HA  only allows a  selection from existing presets that you have made and saved.  And when I, and the other user, tried ,  we discovered that the substantial memory allocated to the vsti continually increased each time the score was played.  This may have been corrected later.
It does mean that if want multiple instruments there will  a fresh reload for each.  (In the standard VSTi of Kontakt  you can add more instruments to the one "instance'... up to 16  for each instance)

It may be only chance that these particular VSTi  sytems were able to be read by HA.  But I'm surprised that Garritan is not also able to be read.
It does have a list of presets which should  be available to HA.

Are you using the 64 bit HA?   If not, that  would  be a  problem.
I  remember when I had the option  at install, I put all the versions of Kontakt in the install locations, and it was not all of them that  were recognized.
And for making alterations to the VSTi instruments  one would have to use  it in what is called "standalone " mode so that its interface is fully operational.  ( this is done by using a"midi cable" from HA to the VSTi. and assignng the VSTi  to an audio output)
Once you had saved the changes you made you could  select them from the VSTi  loaded within HA.

Another point about Garritan.  There is a script which made it more usable within HA .  However, the only time I tried to make the script convert something  it was not working correctly .  As far as I could tell.  
Garritan does not use velocity in instruments in the same way that HA does so some conversion is necessary.

Probably the better VST option is the  new, very good quality, comprehensive, and relatively cheap ,  "Amadeus Orchestra"   which can be set to operate on key velocity as HA does.
 It runs on the free 'Kontakt player'  which is what I had working  to a degree with HA 64 bit.  

It would be wonderful if the full VSTi capablity was availble within  HA but at the begining I heard doubts expressed how it would be very complex to handle every different new  VSTi.    
We will see what happens.

( for myself i use the full functioning " standalone' method all the time. Only possible because I have multiple  outputs able to handle HA digital  and ASIO at the same time)

Muddle

You tube videos using HA or Virtual Singers:- https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMuddleglum/videos
gva
Board Newbie

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10th, 2020, 3:50pm »
Quote | Modify

Salut Muddle,

Et un grand merci pour cette longue explication complète et savante.

Je ne suis pas à la hauteur pour tout comprendre, mais comprendre que je ne comprends pas, c'est déjà un début de compréhension...

J'utilise HA 64 avec Myriad hq que je n'ai achetés que dans l'espoir puéril d'utiliser GPO5. Raté.  

J'ai bien sûr posé le problème directement aux concepteurs mais sans succès. Je n'insisterai pas, de peur de recevoir une réponse dans le genre élégant comme celle reçue en 2013, quand je demandais l'intégration des VSTi dans HA, avec l'argument (déjà...) que la plupart des éditeurs midi les admettaient. Je ne résiste pas au plaisir mesquin de rappeler ici la réponse d'Olivier :

le : 31.07.13 à 13:37:13, Olivier Guillion a écrit:
100 milliards de mouches ne peuvent pas se tromper. Mangez de... .

Je vais donc, à nouveau, laisser tomber. G A G F E D C.
Oliveira
Board Master

« Reply #3 on: Apr 10th, 2020, 6:28pm »
Quote | Modify

muddle escribió:
Quote:
Probably the better VST option is the  new, very good quality, comprehensive, and relatively cheap ,  "Amadeus Orchestra"   which can be set to operate on key velocity as HA does.
 It runs on the free 'Kontakt player'  which is what I had working  to a degree with HA 64 bit.  

Hola: Cuando mencionas los Vst de Amadeus: ¿Te refieres a esta librería?.  https://sonicscores.com/amadeus

Mi música: http://jose_a__oliveira.myriad-users.com/
www.atrilcoral.com /
H.A 996c.64bt V.S. Myriad HQ / PDF to Music Pro 1.7.5c / Overture 5.6.3 / Win 10/6
pierruel
Board Master

vieil amoureux de la flûte

« Reply #4 on: Nov 24th, 2020, 6:20pm »
Quote | Modify

Good evenig, in particular to Muddle,
You wrote some time ago:
Quote:
I have HQ, Kontakt Player and Amadeus Orchestra on my machine but I'm not able to have them working together. And what do you mean with "working to a degree" ? Can you describe your experience with that configuration ?
In advance many thanks.
Pierre

Pierre Ruel
muddle
Board Senior Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 24th, 2020, 10:52pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi Pierre,  I have worried about your expressions of despair at getting better sound.
Your question about "working to a degree" is what I said above.  The Kontakt player was recognized in the earlier  64 bit version of HA and could load an instrument from the file  selector and it would play it,  though quietly.    
You can fix that by adding an equalizer to the staff and set it to amplify the output.

The problem was that each time you restarted  the music , the files were reloaded and used even more memory.  It was possible  to continue if you had a lot of ram in the computer, but that's not very satisfactory.  Especially if you wanted to use several Kontakt instruments.
My current version of HA does not even recognize Kontakt so I don't know  what happens on the very latest versions.  

Just tried the last  beta version and it does not  recognize VST of any sort.

Not encouraging!

I have to rush off to the nearest 'big city 'right now,  but will be back to try and get your sound  working the way I do it.  

David  

You tube videos using HA or Virtual Singers:- https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMuddleglum/videos
pierruel
Board Master

« Reply #6 on: Nov 25th, 2020, 8:48am »
Quote | Modify

Hi David,
Very kind of you. In addition I must apologize because you reported already about Kontakt using each time more memory and about nothing happening with the last version; sorry having you repeat the same info. I thought there was something new happened in the meantime. I asked the Guillion bros some weeks ago about for instance Kontakt not recognised by HQ but I got now answer yet. Well my English becomes even more poor this morning ! I'll ask the developers again.
Thank you. Have a fine time.
Pierre

Pierre Ruel
muddle
Board Senior Member

Re: Qui utilise Garritan Personal Orchestra avec HA ?   Kontakt_controls.jpg
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29th, 2020, 11:14pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi   again Pierre.  
I think the 'standalone' vsti  method has  been described before on the  forum.  
If you want to try with Amadeus?  
Or have you already tried and been dissatisfied?

Two things are needed .

To set the audio output on the Kontakt player.
To Link HA to the player with a midi software cable .

These are not  difficult to set up ,   but I think what does make people hesitate is having to deal with midi  instead of just clicking on an instrument name.  
HA is brilliant for that
I have a  few ideas that help me.  And it certainly gets easier as you go on. Will explain later.  
---------------------------------------

First ... setting the Player output.
If you have already opened the player it will have asked to set the audio.  
But just to check.   Click on the cogwheel  icon  in  the top  panel  and open the  "Audio" item.  
 This will show the outputs available to select.  

Its unlikely  there's an ASIO option.  But if there is, choose  it.
Normally it's recommended to install an ASIO driver to use,  but what I just discovered is that the  standard WASAPI driver  
 was upgraded in speed for Win 10  and can drive a full set of Kontakt  instruments on my computer.    
Select that ... it may be the only option  presented anyway!  
(If later you find that is too slow on your particualr computer you could install the free " ASIO4ALL",  and then open  the player   again to select it.)

-------------------------------------------------------

At this stage it would be worth checking that the sound output works.
The player  will need to be fully expanded, if it is not already.  
 Click the icon (4) , then go to icon(3)  and tick the items "browser", and" keyboard."

Because  you  installed Amadeus you  should now see in the browser  Amadeus's  folders with instruments within them.  
(If it isn't there,  let me know and  I will panic! ).
Chose an instrument  ... a file with the tag >>   . nki  
e.g.  flute 1.nki

Press keys on the keyboard ..... silence... sound?    
Check the volume slider on the right side of the player is not zero.

To  delete the instrument from  the play window.. there's a small X on the right ( 5)  

Hopefully that worked?

-------------------------------------------------------------

The second  step ..  a 'midi cable ' between HA and Kontakt.  

There's an excellent free one called " loopmidi" .   Once it is installed you  can see all the options by a  double click on it's icon .
You can make a new connection on the 'setup' page.  
Enter  your choice of name for a new midi connection. ( e.g.  'loop Kontakt')  Click " +"  to add to the list.    
Done.  

When you next open HA  this name should  appear for selection in HA's "hardware configuration" .  
Use one of the HA "midi out" slots to select that name.  

Note the  slot number you used.
That midi port number is used in HA's  staff  'edit instrument panel'   ( top left) to direct midi to Kontakt.  
There's a timing adjustment below the slot to match Kontakt playback with HA   digital.     About 157 ms  on my computer.  

The name you chose for the midi connection  will also appear for selection in Kontakt's "midi-in"  box.   ( next to the audio box  used earlier)

I have loop midi set to start with the computer and have had trouble free operation for years.   ( There's a  'short cut'  in the start up folder.. not sure if it was an option at install  ... or i did it later.)
Good luck with experimenting.  

----------------------------

Added note.  An advantage of Amadeus is that you can alter the sound  to your taste.  ( attack etc.)     Kontakt can save these changes , either over the original file or a new one with  different name.  

And if you set up a selection  of instruments  on different midi channels you can save these, with any adjustments, as a  "Multi" ( your choice of name ) for reloading for other scores.    i.e.  you can set up a string quartet with flute or   wind ensemble , etc etc.

Therefore the Kontakt instruments can always have the same midi channel number.  
For example, with my ensemble strings or solo strings the violin is always set on channel 1 , a second violin on 2, viola on 3, cello 4, a bass 5.    
It just seems so much easier when setting your staves in HA.  If you know in advance what instrument you will get.  

David L.

pierruel
Board Master

« Reply #8 on: Nov 30th, 2020, 9:32am »
Quote | Modify

Hi David,
I'm very grateful for the time you spent in answering dummy's questions like mine.
In fact I thought I tried with Amadeus but I was far from knowing how to do .
Now I followed your full explanations and was able to achieve the first thing needed: I saw the Amadeus instruments in Kontakt   and got the sound of a first flute all right when playing on the keyboard. I noticed that I don't have the same version of Kontakt player (mine is 6th) and the image is differnt but it doesn't matter.
The second thing to achieve is more problematic:  I've LoopMIDI installed and I created a new connection: HAloopKTKT. This name appears as an option on the hardware configuration in HA and I set it to MIDI slot 1. The problem arises when I go to HA. On the edit staff instrument dialog, I select MIDI 1 but when I'm back to the score and try to play it, nothing happens but a crash of HA.
In the MIDI setup window I have my LoopMIDI connection AND my audio interface mentioned; should I keep both of them on ?
Thank you if you find time to unstuck me !
Friendly regards
Pierre

Pierre Ruel
pierruel
Board Master

« Reply #9 on: Nov 30th, 2020, 9:43am »
Quote | Modify

Oh sorry David, everything all right, bravo and many thanks. I just forgot to set up the MIDI output on !
Wonderful tutorial. I'll translate it into French and post it among the "files".
Have a fine day
Pierre

Pierre Ruel
pierruel
Board Master

« Reply #10 on: Nov 30th, 2020, 10:17am »
Quote | Modify

Well, there is still a small problem  
I make my tests with a flute quartet (I mean: fl, violon, alto, cello) and created 4 new different connections in LoopMIDI.  
I connected MIDI ports 1 to 4 to the related instrument/Staff.
I set a different MIDI number to each staff.
But now all 4 instruments are playing a flute sound !
What did I wrong ?
Thank you in advance
Pierre

Pierre Ruel
muddle
Board Senior Member

Re: Qui utilise Garritan Personal Orchestra avec HA ?   channel.jpg
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30th, 2020, 11:21am »
Quote | Modify

well done  Pierre.!  
i'm glad.  

You don't actually need 4  ports.  

I should have explained.

Just one midi port and  loop connection can pass  up to 16 midi channels.    

So the first staff is set to midi port 1 ( that's the number of your first connecting cable.)  

But you set the midi  CHANNEL  in the box at the top right in HA.
The first channel is 1.  So enter 1 in the box

the next staff   will also have 1  set in the  midi port box, but  in the channel box at top right you set 2 . .( for the second channel.)

and the same for the   3rd staff . port 1 in the midi slot , set 3 in the channel box top right.

And so on. if you ever need more than 16 channels out , you could do another port connection , but I  doubt you would ever need it.  

I think you could be getting all flute sounds because all the midi CHANNELS  were left as default 1 , and the extra ports connection were all going to just the flute on channel 1.  

So try using just the one midi port 1.  And set the 'channels box' as described above.  
( You are not the first person to miss seeing the the midi channel box!)  

see if that helps.  

I think you must be using correctly the midi CHANNEL number in the Player.
It is the' CH' one on the  left side--- as in attachment..  the one to go up with each added instrument.

Have fun !

David

pierruel
Board Master

« Reply #12 on: Nov 30th, 2020, 3:07pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi again David !
Doesnt work ! Me or the softs !
First of all, the names. My HA is in French, I hope it will not disturb. In the dialog "Configuration matérielle" there are 12 items, the names of them is "Sorties"; I suppose that they are the MIDI ports.
In the dialog Edit the intrument associated with a staff, we have in the uppe left corner the MIDI port number and in the upper right corner the MIDI channel number. Isn't it ?
Now the problem: Since I went back to only one LoopMIDI connection, I put the same connexion's name for the 4 MIDI ports (or "Sorties") in the Configuration matérielle dialog. Then in the staff associated instrument dialog I put the number 1 in the upper left corner and 1 to 4  for each of my 4 instruments in the upper right corner.
It seems to me to be correct.
Then in Kontak I selected "Sustain" on the flute panel and pizzicato in the 3 strings panels.
Once I get the flute in pizzicato like the strings, once the strings legato like the flute ! It seems that the output depends on which option was set up as last. Really annoying. Where is the bug ?
Thank you.
Pierre

Pierre Ruel
muddle
Board Senior Member

« Reply #13 on: Nov 30th, 2020, 10:38pm »
Quote | Modify

HI Pierre,  
It seems you have  everything set correctly, and  my Kontakt doesn't  have that fault.
Which means Amadeus is doing something very unexpected, and unreasonable .  I would say  a rather bad bug.  
Though it seems unlikely they would miss this.

So, before I  start raving on ,.. when you set the pizzicato for strings, does the flute remain set to sustain if you go back and look at it?  

Presumably the change occurs then as play starts?.
Check that that is what happens. Watch the flute staff on screen as play starts.

Next  

If it does change after play start, stop the playing.  
 Set the flute back to sustain.  Set the others to pizz.

Then mute the HA  flute staff  (so  doesn't send any midi) . After a few seconds of play un-mute  the flute staff and see what happens.
does it still change at the start?  

or when you unmute  does it stay a sustain or switch to pizz

trying to narrow down the possibilities. We must be missing something.

There may be a work around for this..., that is ...you set the instruments as you want, then save it all as  a "Multi". ( that's an option in the file save list)

When you load that file back in to the player it won't need any settings changed.  

and may play as desired ?

I still want to know what's causing the problem.  

tempted to buy the thing so i can test it out myself...

There is another work around option which is almost certain to work, but involves HA sending 'keyswitch' notes.  And it shouldn't be necesary.
 Want to avoid that.  Try the above first

David.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2020, 12:08pm by muddle » offline

bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #14 on: Nov 30th, 2020, 11:06pm »
Quote | Modify

Muddle and Pierruel :  
I keep reading this thrilling thread. I've seen Pierruel is willing to translate all that into French. May I suggest that once the tutorial is complete you upload it 'French and English) into the Experience Sharing page of Myriad's website (here) I'm pretty sure a number of people would be delighted.

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad