HomeProductsDownloadOrderSupportSearch

Myriad Forum « Latest versions: Harmony Assistant 9.9.4e / Melody Assistant 7.9.4e »
 Welcome, Guest.
 You can read all messages, but to be able to post,
 please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 1:43pm 
   Myriad Forum
   Melody Assistant / Harmony Assistant
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Latest versions: Harmony Assistant 9.9.4e / Melody Assistant 7.9.4e
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Latest versions: Harmony Assistant 9.9.4e / Melody Assistant 7.9.4e  (Read 3732 times)
Olivier Guillion
Administrator

WWW | Email

Latest versions: Harmony Assistant 9.9.4e / Melody Assistant 7.9.4e  
« on: Sep 1st, 2021, 5:01pm »

Hello,
The new versions of Harmony Assistant and Melody Assistant are available on this site, in the Download section.

The complete list of new features, improvements and fixes is available here.
Regards,

Olivier Guillion
Myriad Software
COMALite J
Beta-tester
Board Master

Email

Staff Duplication / Silenced Virtual Singer problems REMAIN!! (Was: Re: Latest versions: Harmony Assistant 9.9.4e / Melody Assistant 7.9.4e)  
« Reply #1 on: Sep 2nd, 2021, 1:02am »

As I said in the other thread on HA 9.6.4d, there are serious problems with the current version that basically renders it unusable for playback if there are Virtual Singer staves.

The “What’s New?” release notes for 9.6.4e stated under “Fixes”: “1. Duplicated staves in mixer.” But it’s still happening!

Most of my music is Barbershop or choir arrangements. The Barbershop ones have four Virtual Singer staves: Tenor, Lead, Bari[tone], and Bass, in that order (all set to Reed Organ instruments usually), with an optional non-Virtual Singer fifth Pitch Pipe (set to Harmonica or Reed Organ instrument) below that (I set that to not print).

Even before playback, such a piece with the five staves now shows these staves in the Mixer in this order: Tenor, Lead, Baritone, Bass, Pitch Pipe, Bass, Baritone, Lead, and Tenor (underscore indicates duplicates).

Activating playback adds Metronome Bell and Metronome Click (both silent) but inserted before the duplicated Bass staff, when normally those two would be the last items in the Mixer.

If Virtual Singer is enabled, it still does its usual “Computing # human voices…” but the # is 8 instead of 4 as it should be. The Pitch Pipe note plays normally, but then complete silence from the Virtual Singer staves! Both from the audio output, and in the Mixer (implying that any attempt to Export Audio would fare similarly).

I just tried an experiment: I deactivated Virtual Singer (closing curtains on stage) and started playback again. This time some strange new Staves appeared in the Mixer: Tenor, Lead, Baritone, Bass, Pitch Pipe, Staff 8-StdInstr, Staff 7-StdInstr, Staff 6-StdInstr, Lead-StdInstr, then the reversed-order duplicates from above: Bass, Baritone, Lead, and Tenor, and then Metronome Bell and Metronome Click (those two go away when I stop playback, yet the others remain). Note that none of my Staves are Multi-Voice Staves.

It doesn’t seem to do it on all files. One that did have the issue under 9.9.4d, it went away and played back fine on 9.9.4e. That one is more complex with a Flute, the Soprano, Alto, Tenor, and Bass as a Braced Group, then Piano RH and Piano LH as a Grand Staff, then Organ RH and Organ LH and Organ Pedal as a Braced Group. Before the Piano LH, Tenor, and Bass were being duplicated, but not the others.

One possibility is that I do, on my Barbershop pieces, use Turkish Commas for microtuning. I see that you greatly expanded the palette of microtonal accidentals in this version (but did you make them be able to take non-integer tuning values? ±1¢ is not sufficient resolution to turn 12tET into Just Intonation with the precision I need! Please make this at least a single-precision floating-point value instead of an integer! I know I did at least one Feature Request on this topic over a decade ago!), and maybe something happened there that's causing this to happen mainly in pieces that use the older Turkish Comma symbols with custom tuning offsets?

Another tidbit: the duplicate Virtual Singer staves also appear when I go into Jukebox and it asks me which Staff-with-Lyrics I want to use as the lyrics source.
Lagaffe
Board Master

Bricoleur DPLG

Email

Re: Latest versions: Harmony Assistant 9.9.4e / Melody Assistant 7.9.4e  
« Reply #2 on: Sep 2nd, 2021, 8:24am »

Another tidbit: the duplicate Virtual Singer staves also appear when I go into Jukebox and it asks me which Staff-with-Lyrics I want to use as the lyrics source.

Didier told me that it will be corrected in next version, I had the same problem.

Pourquoi faire simple... Quand on peut faire compliqué ?
iMac 27 4GHz 24Go DDR3, Macbook pro
HA 9.9.7e
Melody Player
Mac OS Monterey
Tony Deff
Board Master

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 2nd, 2021, 9:08am »

Quote:
... it will be corrected in next version.

So, is this a stop-gap release (version provisoire)  - is that why the displayed version number is 9.9.4eb1 ?

Anglophone, HA 64 Win.10, amateur composer.
La musique classique est ce dont vous attendez toujours qu'elle se transforme en mélodie
Olivier Guillion
Administrator

WWW | Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 2nd, 2021, 10:11am »

There was an error in versioning (fixed now). But the problem of duplicated staves is already fixed.
Staves only duplicate when using microtonal accidentals. If it occurs otherwise or causes problem, I'd need a very short example and a detailed procedure to reproduce the problem, by e-mail.

Olivier Guillion
Myriad Software
JP
Board Master

WWW | Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 3rd, 2021, 5:53pm »

Je suis toujours perplexe sur le fait de passer ou non à la dernière version de HA.

J'ai de nombreux fichiers à maintenir qui ont été produits dans des versions antérieures, je sais que le format est différent de celui de ces versions, j'ai peur de casser beaucoup de choses pour une version dont je comprends qu'elle apporte surtout des nouvelles fonctionnalités dont je n'ai pas l'impression d'avoir besoin.

D'un autre côté il est malsain de ne pas suivre l'évolution des produits.

Prière de partager vos avis sur la question.
Tony Deff
Board Master

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 3rd, 2021, 6:45pm »

Je serais enclin à conserver une ancienne version de confiance de HA à des fins de comparaison en cas de difficultés, ainsi que la dernière.  
(Pour moi, c'est facile car l'ancienne version est 32 bits et la 64 bits se trouve dans un répertoire différent).

J'utiliserais la dernière version (sauf lorsque de nouveaux problèmes surviennent) mais si je modifie d'anciennes partitions ou j'écris de nouvelles partitions qui ne nécessitent pas de mongol à 96 tempéraments égaux, aussi je définirais le format de sauvegarde sur celui de l'ancienne version comme sécurité.

Anglophone, HA 64 Win.10, amateur composer.
La musique classique est ce dont vous attendez toujours qu'elle se transforme en mélodie
JP
Board Master

WWW | Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 3rd, 2021, 7:13pm »

Merci de ta réponse, je vais faire ça.
COMALite J
Beta-tester
Board Master

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 4th, 2021, 1:55am »

on Sep 2nd, 2021, 10:11am, Olivier Guillion wrote:
There was an error in versioning (fixed now). But the problem of duplicated staves is already fixed.
Staves only duplicate when using microtonal accidentals. If it occurs otherwise or causes problem, I'd need a very short example and a detailed procedure to reproduce the problem, by e-mail.

Using the old-school microtonal accidentals is the vast majority of what I do. This is not a minor thing for me. It completely wrecks the usability of the software.

Will this be fixed in version 9.9.4f? Because it’s still happening in 9.9.4eb1. Or was the versioning error basically that put out a beta (“b1”?) or maybe the 9.9.4d version was released under the 9.9.4e download and with the 9.9.4eb1 version number showing?

Can you please provide us a way to download at least the next-most-recent stable major release version that we can re-install in case a new version causes problems? In this case, we should still be able to download version 9.9.3e. As it was, to do what I needed to do, fortunately years ago I had accidentally installed version 9.6.3i (I think it was) into “C:\Program Files (x86)\Harmony Assistant” instead of “C:\Program Files (x86)\Myriad\Harmony Assistant” so I could at least fall back on that version.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2021, 3:51am by COMALite J » offline
Olivier Guillion
Administrator

WWW | Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 7th, 2021, 9:19am »

As I said earlier, there was a minor problem of versioning for a few hours (displayed version 9.9.4eb1 instead of 9.9.4e). Downloading and installing the program again will fix this.

About the microtonal adjustments, if you want to try the next beta-version in which many improvements have been made, please contact us by e-mail.

Olivier Guillion
Myriad Software
PaulL
Board Master

Retired organist and choir director; former progra

« Reply #10 on: Sep 14th, 2021, 7:22pm »

Je n'arrive pas de lancer le programme d'installation sous Windows 10, ni pour 32-bit ni pour 64-bit.  En consultant le Task Manager, il apparaît qu'il y a quelque difficulté avec le Store Experience Host (quel qu'il soit).

Le coeur a ses raisons, que la Raison ne connaît point.
Paul Littlefield, retired Church musician

HA+VS+PdfToMusic Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
jfmaho
Board Newbie

« Reply #11 on: Sep 17th, 2021, 7:44pm »

I haven't used Melody Assistant in over a year. So when I now opened it, to work on some old files, I was asked to update. So I did. I now have version 7.9.4e, 64bits.

However, I keep being pestered by a dialog box that says "Sorry, but there are too many symbols in this score for an unregistered version".

I have paid for my Melody Assistant. Granted, that was a few years ago. Am I supposed to pay again? I will if I have to, but that dialog box is very annoying.
COMALite J
Beta-tester
Board Master

Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 18th, 2021, 7:26pm »

on Sep 17th, 2021, 7:44pm, jfmaho wrote:
I haven't used Melody Assistant in over a year. So when I now opened it, to work on some old files, I was asked to update. So I did. I now have version 7.9.4e, 64bits.

However, I keep being pestered by a dialog box that says "Sorry, but there are too many symbols in this score for an unregistered version".

I have paid for my Melody Assistant. Granted, that was a few years ago. Am I supposed to pay again? I will if I have to, but that dialog box is very annoying.
The 64-bit Windows version is considered a different platform. You need a license extension to use it, just as you’d need a new license to get the Mac version.

Download and install the 32-bit version found under “Other Versions” link on the download page. That one should work with your existing license, and runs just fine under 64-bit Windows by automatically using its “WOW64” (Windows-on-Windows) emulation subsystem.

The main downsides are that it cannot use more than about 2GB of memory while running but that should only be an issue if you use lots of long raw uncompressed audio tracks in your scores; and also that it cannot access 64-bit versions of third-party VSTi digital sound or audio processing modules under MyriadHQ that you may have installed on your system. The bit-size of the VSTi module has to match that of the host program (Melody or Harmony Assistant in this case). The 32-bit versions use less RAM than the 64-bit versions while running because of in-memory pointer sizes, and the overall speed is about the same.
COMALite J
Beta-tester
Board Master

Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 26th, 2021, 3:48am »

Since it looks like HA 9.9.4f is taking awhile, and 9.9.4d and 9.9.4e are both unusable for me because the main thing I do involves Virtual Singer and microtuning with Turkish Commas and the current bug that's still in 9.9.4e means that those staves won't play at all in VS, can we please get a download link to re-download version 9.9.3e? That version worked fine.

Yeah, I’d like the 9.9.4 new features, but I’d like a version that actually works a lot more. And 9.9.4 — doesn’t, regardless of the letter after it. I do still have 9.6.3i that I’d installed into another directory by mistake so I can still access my older scores and play them in VS, but I need a working 9.9.3 at the very least because I’ve done some stuff since October of 2013.

Would you like my help in beta-testing 9.9.4f?
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2021, 4:31am by COMALite J » offline
ANdre_B
Board Master

Email

« Reply #14 on: Sep 26th, 2021, 9:28am »

Well, when upgrading a critical piece of software, the least you should do is to create a backup of the last "working well" product folder.  
Perhaps you can find an old folder in a system backup from that time.  

Or, an install file of 993e in the download directory; they all have different names, and are not automatically erased.

I have downloaded the install file of HA 993e for 64 bits at the following address:  

https://choeur-repertoire.yj.fr/HA_Downloads/harmony993e-x64-install.exe

(subject to update when download is complete; estimate around 8:00 GMT this sunday)

(I would post other ones when I'm back home, for the moment I'm limited to what on my laptop and a rather slow connection)

« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2021, 9:30am by ANdre_B » offline

André Baeck, de retour en Belgique après 12 ans passés dans le Gard.
Windows 11, HA 997e (et précédents)
Pages: 1 2  | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad