please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 10:05am 
   Myriad Forum
   PDFtoMusic / PDFtoMusic Pro
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   PDFtoMusic trail version
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: PDFtoMusic trail version  (Read 1559 times)
Dave_Rado
Board Newbie

PDFtoMusic trail version  
« on: Jan 22nd, 2020, 8:06pm »
Quote | Modify

I'm trailing PDFtoMusic but when I try exporting, it only exports a .myr file, and I don't have any software that can open myr files. Is that by design? It seems odd that you can't trail the export facility unless you've paid for a licence! Is there any way to export in midi format?

Dave
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2020, 8:17pm by Dave_Rado » offline
Dave_Rado
Board Newbie

Re: PDFtoMusic trail version  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22nd, 2020, 8:12pm »
Quote | Modify

Also the PDFtoMusic webpage at https://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/pdftomusic.htm says: "In its trial version, that can be downloaded for free on our site, PDFtoMusic can only play the first page of a PDF document, and export only one page at a time." It doesn't say anything about not being able to export anything at all unless you've paid for a licence for Myriad software. So is there something wrong with my installation? If so how can I fix it?

Dave
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2020, 8:15pm by Dave_Rado » offline
ANdre_B
Board Master

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22nd, 2020, 8:37pm »
Quote | Modify

During a PDFtoMusic trial, and without spending any money, you can also/either

- make a trial of Harmony Assistant or Melody Assistant, which will be able to read the generated .myr file. Not export anything, but at least you can see if your input PDF is handled well enough to your needs.  

- make instead a trial of PDFtoMusic Pro, which will be able to export one page into xml (or midi) - that you can import wherever you like.  

- But apparently PDFtoMusic (standard) can export in midi; I guess that in trial mode it can export one page in midi (may check tomorrow).

With a license, Harmony Assistant can export in .xml or .mid, Melody only in midi.  

PDFtoMusic Pro can export in xml and midi, the basic version only in midi.  

« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2020, 8:59pm by ANdre_B » offline

André Baeck, de retour en Belgique après 12 ans passés dans le Gard.
Windows 11, HA 997e (et précédents)
Dave_Rado
Board Newbie

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22nd, 2020, 8:54pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi Andre

How can I import the xml into Windows Media Player or iTunes for instance? If I open any of my media players and try to open the xml they don't recognise it as a valid file type.

Dave
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2020, 8:54pm by Dave_Rado » offline
ANdre_B
Board Master

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22nd, 2020, 9:03pm »
Quote | Modify

on Jan 22nd, 2020, 8:54pm, Dave_Rado wrote:
Hi Andre

How can I import the xml into Windows Media Player or iTunes for instance? If I open any of my media players and try to open the xml they don't recognise it as a valid file type.

Dave

A player can only play - not generate a playable file. To use XML you need some score editor. Some basic ones are free.  

But a .midi file can be played. And as I added in the reply above, PDFtoMusic should be able to generate a Midi file.

André Baeck, de retour en Belgique après 12 ans passés dans le Gard.
Windows 11, HA 997e (et précédents)
Dave_Rado
Board Newbie

« Reply #5 on: Jan 22nd, 2020, 9:07pm »
Quote | Modify

My trail version of PDFtoMusic standard only exports in myr format, not midi; and my trail version of PDFtoMusic pro only exports in xml, not midi. Are you really saying that you have managed to get the trail versions of both products to export in midi format? If so how can I troubleshoot why my trail installations won't do that?
bubu42
Board Master

Re: PDFtoMusic trail version   sq_mozart--ave-verum.pdf
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22nd, 2020, 10:05pm »
Quote | Modify

Hello.
I've just installed PDFtoMusic Pro on my Linux system via WINE (that can emulate a Windows OS on Linux). Though I do own a license code for Windows, I have not typed it in the opening window. So, it's just as if it were a trial version...
Well, after loading a .pdf file, I was able to export it as a .mid file (actually only the first page...) and read it with a MIDI player. The sound does match what is on the score.
By the way, I've tried all the other export options (music xml, .kar, mp3, .ogg) and they all work (first page only).
So, I can think of two issues in your situation :
1- There was something wrong with the installation of PDF2M. Try uninstalling it and download the installation file from Myriad's site and run it again.
2- There was something wrong in the processing of the .pdf file (e.g. the file contained bitmaps and not vectors) Try another file (e.g. the attached file : it is public domain and has two pages. I've checked it and it works).

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
Dave_Rado
Board Newbie

Re: PDFtoMusic trail version   Export_Dialog.png
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22nd, 2020, 10:56pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi Bubu

I've just realised that the problem I was having was due to a bug with the Export button on the toolbar. If I click on the Export button it brings up the dialog in the attached screen capture.

As you can see, it doesn't offer a list of file types, it just offers to save it as an xml file. The standard version is the same except that it just offers to save it as a myr file and doesn't offer a list of file types.

But if I click on the File menu and select Export, which I hadn't tried doing before, then it offers lots of file type options, including midi, and it saves the midi file successfully.  

It's definitely not a problem with the PDF (as you can see from the screen capture I'm using one of the demo PDFs that come with the program) - and uninstalling and reinstalling led to identical results.

I presume this bug with the export button on the toolbar only applies to the trail version? Either way please could you feed it back to the developers? It's caused me, you and Andre to waste a lot of time!

Thanks - and many thanks for your and Andre's help with getting to the bottom of thisl

Dave
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2020, 11:02pm by Dave_Rado » offline

bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #8 on: Jan 22nd, 2020, 11:40pm »
Quote | Modify

Glad to hear that you're back on track.  
I've tried the export button on my system and I get the same result as yours. I'll ask the developers about it...

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
Nathan
Board Newbie

« Reply #9 on: Jul 12th, 2021, 7:11pm »
Quote | Modify

on Jan 22nd, 2020, 11:40pm, bubu42 wrote:
Glad to hear that you're back on track.  
I've tried the export button on my system and I get the same result as yours. I'll ask the developers about it...

Hello, did you get some answer from developers?
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad