please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 1:02pm 
   Myriad Forum
   PDFtoMusic / PDFtoMusic Pro
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   PDFtoMusic trial version issues with Musescore
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: PDFtoMusic trial version issues with Musescore  (Read 1609 times)
Sylvain Machefert
Administrator

WWW |

Re: PDFtoMusic trial version issues with Musescore  
« Reply #15 on: Jan 4th, 2022, 10:00am »
Quote | Modify

Purchase it on the OS you work most, because I think license is different for each OS.

HA+HQ+VS+PdfToM, Reaper+Audiveris+Transcribe, Win10+Focusrite Scarlet 4i4+Nord Electro 3
Linktree: VS languages, my scripts, my bands, my performances...
bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #16 on: Jan 4th, 2022, 10:52am »
Quote | Modify

Don't forget to compare both versions (standard and pro). Basically, they work the same for recognition but the pro version comes with a few features (e.g. batch processing) that you may not need in 99% of cases.

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
Sylvain Machefert
Administrator

WWW |

« Reply #17 on: Jan 4th, 2022, 2:32pm »
Quote | Modify

Difference between Pro and Standard version

• Pro : the same license work on MacOS and Windows (as opposite of what I thought)
  • Pro : batch export
  • PDFtoMusic Pro can export in MusicXML file format which is the standard of exchange between musical programs.
    The most important thing for importing in MuseScore
  • Pro has an expert mode, expert mode can make difference in 1% cases as explained by bubu42

HA+HQ+VS+PdfToM, Reaper+Audiveris+Transcribe, Win10+Focusrite Scarlet 4i4+Nord Electro 3
ronyd@247
Board Newbie

« Reply #18 on: Jan 4th, 2022, 3:06pm »
Quote | Modify

Well, unfortunately although Musescore was able to bring in the xml file not promising.  An error msg indicated the xml was corrupted, but i chose to ignore to see if the score could be readable.

The notation was not acceptable enough at all.

So, It is very possible that Musescore itself could be the culprit and not pdfToMusic.

No way to really tell at thi poit.

Not even sure there is a standard of reading the xml into a score.  By that i mean, yes, XML is a standard, but how score editors interpret  xml
could be a factor.

Oh well thankx everyone for looking into this issue
bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #19 on: Jan 4th, 2022, 3:32pm »
Quote | Modify

The code is probably the same in HA and PDFTM, but how about this procedure ?
PDFTM export into .myr format, then open in HA and export from HA into XML format

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
Sylvain Machefert
Administrator

WWW |

« Reply #20 on: Jan 4th, 2022, 5:58pm »
Quote | Modify

MusicXML is very rich language. Music is also very rich language

So every software that import / export MusicXML can be a bottleneck in communication, omitting to write things in .xml at export, or not interpreting / misunderstanding .xml file at import.

Some months ago, I did an experiment : writed a drum staff in Harmony Assistant, export to MusicXML, import MusicXML in Harmony Assistant. Result was not consistent, i.e. : some "information" where missing, or suffered severe bugs.

Some of these bugs were fixed, but I'm not sure all is done.

Same kind of experimentation can be done by any software able to export and import MusicXML. I'm pretty sure that 100% of these softwares loose some data in this process.
"Common" notation should be OK, but you can bump into problems with drums, or complex beaming, or microtonality, or something else.

As PdfToMusic and Harmony Assistant are developped by the same guys, we can imagine than in memory, music is similar in both software, and MusicXML export may produce the same result, with their omissions or bugs.
If you use their own format (.MYR), communication will be better between PdfToMusic and Harmony Assistant.

If the PDF is badly writed, in your case, without drum clef, it's like if a human enter mistakes in notation software... and both export mistakes.

You make try Harmony Assistant to get the best of PdfToMusic in a notation software, no MusicXML between them, so no bottleneck.
In that case, if you don't need batch processing, expertmode (used in 1% of pdf), PdfToMusic standard + Harmony Assistant worths the price.

Take time to try them, trial version is not limited in time, but in functionnality (number of pages for example).

H.A. license is OS-dependant, one license for MacOS, one for Windows, one for Linux.

I never used MuseScore so I can't compare it with H.A. I use since 20 years. Test what you used to do on MuseScore.
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2022, 6:00pm by Sylvain Machefert » offline

Pages: 1 2  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad